Desperately need help with transferring MIDI’s to my keyboard. PLEASE help

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I’ve used the word “desperately” because I am at my wits’ end in trying to figure this out, it’s literally been weeks. I’m trying to transfer a MIDI song from my PC to my Casio LK-280 via USB cable. Unfortunately, using a SD card to accomplish this task isn’t an option for me, and the SD card method is the only tutorial that I’m able to find on YouTube and other internet sources. The LK-280 manual isn’t much help either, as it also focuses on the SD card method and provides such little detail/information on the USB cable method. Can someone please explain how this is done via USB cable? I’m not very technically proficient, so if anyone could provide ANY help at all, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Welcome.

I will run through the usual process just in case you are unaware of it.

Download the Driver file from Casio’s website, it will reside in the Downloads folder on your PC.

It will probably be a Zip file so find the file, right click on it and select extract.

Extract it to the C drive and create a new folder named Casio where the extracted file should be placed.

Now connect the switched off Keyboard via USB.

Turn the keyboard on and the PC should then give the option of Driver installation, you may need manually to navigate Windows to the Casio folder where it will find the Driver and install it.

Once installed turn off the keyboard and restart the PC, then turn on the keyboard and Windows will then see the keyboard.

Now the next bit is iffy, Windows Explorer / File Manager may then see the keyboards storage as an accessible device. If it does drag and drop the MIDI files to the Casio storage. Do not that even though this may be possible it will still be hit and miss if you can then see the MIDI files in your Casio.

Now.

If you have connected up your keyboard previously to your PC Windows may have made a best guess at the Driver to use and probably installed the wrong one, if this is the case download the driver as per above and using Device Manager (it is accessible via Control Panel) find the Casio select it, right click > Properties > Update Driver. Then navigate to the new Driver file and let Windows install it. Restart PC start up keyboard and try again.

Let us know what happens.

It would not surprise me if using an SD card is the only option.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to the forums! :)

According to the manual (page E-62), the only way to transfer a Standard MIDI File (SMF, with a .MID extension) is to use the Data Manager program that's available at Casio's website. It looks like you'll need Data Manager 5.0:

As far as using a memory card, the manual seems to indicate that a "recorded song" will be in the keyboard's own format when saved, rather than the SMF format. This implies that loading a "recorded song" from memory card also requires that it be in the keyboard's own format. I don't have any experience with Casio's file formats, but I think Casio's website has programs for converting files from the SMF format to the keyboards' formats:

The description for the SMF Converter lists a few of the LK models, but not the LK-280. You could try it anyway (as an alternative to transferring SMF song files using Data Manager 5.0) in the hopes that the description simply has not been updated recently to add newer model numbers.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Thanks so much for taking the time to offer your help and advice, I really appreciate it! I also want to apologize for the somewhat late response on my part, I've been swamped with work all this week. Anyways, I have good news to report! I was able to use the SD card method on my keyboard to transfer MIDI's! I was convinced that there was something faulty with my SD card slot and/or keyboard due to the fact that every single previous time I had attempted to use the SD card to transfer MIDI's I would immediately receive an error message on the LCD screen, it wasn't even letting me format the card, so I've assumed all this time that the SD card method was a bust for me. Well, last night for some reason I just decided to try and give it another go, and it worked!! I was able to format the card and transfer some MIDI's....But now I'm running into another problem....Only the right-handed parts of the song are being lit up and shown on the keyboard. I'm using the program "Aria Maestosa" to manually assign each hand/part its required channel (left hand=ch.3 & right hand=ch.4). I then export the midi to the "MUSICDAT" folder, and then transfer the SD card back to the keyboard. It's doing the exact same thing to every MIDI song I try to transfer. Do you guys have any guesses as to why that's happening? Thanks in advance for all of your guys' help!
-Dave

Ask a Question