Devices capable of overdubbing vocals?

Reaction score
Greetings to all here

Like some help in compiling a list of keyboards / synths, or any other devices capable of overdubbing vocal samples.

Note that some 'samplers' are only capable of either recording samples or capable of playing samples, but not capable of both recording and playing samples simultaneously. Which is not too useful for trying out vocal harmonies. :)

Please feel free to add to the list or add comments.

* Audacity (free recording / editing software.

* some models of Zoom, Olympus, Yamaha, portable digital recorders.

* Korg Kaossilator 2 (but don't forget to connect headphones)

* Roland FA-06 (records or plays samples but not at same time).

* Roland SP404sx ...........???

* iPad 2 with Sample Lab (CowboyNQ)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok this is a bit outside the square but you did say "or any other devices".

I use an iPad 2 with Sample Lab live in one of my bands. I've not personally tried to do this, but I'm very confident that using the sequencer thingo on it you could record and play simultaneously if that's what bites your banana.

If you already own an iPad it's a super cheap option too.

Reaction score
Ok this is a bit outside the square but you did say "or any other devices".

I use an iPad 2 with Sample Lab live in one of my bands. I've not personally tried to do this, but I'm very confident that using the sequencer thingo on it you could record and play simultaneously if that's what bites your banana.

If you already own an iPad it's a super cheap option too.

thanks, CowboyNQ, added that to the list. Not a iPad 2 owner myself (still outside looking in on those popular devices), but always interested in folks' alternatives cheers.

Reaction score
Whoops! Forgot to include Pedal Loopers, plus the Fostex-type of 4 / 8 track recorders, both digital and analogue.

Ask a Question