DGX-205 to Mac?

Reaction score
Welcome.

The standard USB cable with A & B plugs is the one you want, it is the type used to connect a Printer to a Computer.

Cannot say that the driver you linked to is one that will work

Reaction score
Welcome.

The standard USB cable with A & B plugs is the one you want, it is the type used to connect a Printer to a Computer.

Cannot say that the driver you linked to is one that will work
Thank you! On the bright side I think I have that cable

Reaction score
On the downside, the keyboard isn't showing up. Does anyone happen to know what drivers might work?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
One of the drivers you linked to might work, but it would need to be compatible with your Mac's OS. If you're on the latest macOS then you'll need a Yamaha USB-MIDI driver for that macOS version-- unless the keyboard can work using the Mac's own built-in USB-MIDI driver ("CoreMIDI").

Note that your USB cable might be the culprit, because (1) you absolutely need a USB 1 or USB 2 cable-- do not use a USB 3 cable because it won't work-- and (2) you should use a cable that's under 3 meters. If the USB cable is the wrong type (version), or is the right type but is too long, the keyboard might not be able to interface with the computer correctly. USB 3 is too fast, and cables over 3 meters can cause too much delay due to how far the data has to travel from keyboard to computer and vice versa.

Reaction score
One of the drivers you linked to might work, but it would need to be compatible with your Mac's OS. If you're on the latest macOS then you'll need a Yamaha USB-MIDI driver for that macOS version-- unless the keyboard can work using the Mac's own built-in USB-MIDI driver ("CoreMIDI").

Note that your USB cable might be the culprit, because (1) you absolutely need a USB 1 or USB 2 cable-- do not use a USB 3 cable because it won't work-- and (2) you should use a cable that's under 3 meters. If the USB cable is the wrong type (version), or is the right type but is too long, the keyboard might not be able to interface with the computer correctly. USB 3 is too fast, and cables over 3 meters can cause too much delay due to how far the data has to travel from keyboard to computer and vice versa.

Thank you! I'm not certain if the cord's a 1 2 or 3, though I figured out I can see the keyboard show up under About this Mac -> System Report -> USB even if it's not showing up in GarageBand or anything else yet. Otherwise, sounds like it's time for a computer update & that driver.

Reaction score
Thanks again for your help, all! Got it working by downloading the driver (interestingly it seems to do fine on OS Sierra, thought I'd give it a whirl before updating). Now time to play!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
That's good news! Out of curiosity, what OS version was your Mac running before the update?

Edit: Oh, wait, after rereading more carefully, I guess you meant you didn't need to update at all.

Reaction score
That's good news! Out of curiosity, what OS version was your Mac running before the update?

Edit: Oh, wait, after rereading more carefully, I guess you meant you didn't need to update at all.
Yes, just needed the driver - it worked fine for me on OS Sierra (even though that doesn't seem to be what it's intended for). Thanks again!

Reaction score

Reaction score
Thanks so much for this reply.

A while back I had a 49 key usb/midi controller (maybe it was called key station? I’m not certain) on an older iMac and older OS (I think it was 10.7) and everyone recognized each other and it was truly plug and play, at least on GarageBand, Cubase and Ableton (I was dabbling in every free or trial version I could find to try to figure out where to land at the time).

I got a great deal on the Yamaha and I can use the usb for power but not connecting — had no idea that, like a printer, it would have its own driver.

I’m going to check it out but your concise, direct reply just saved me from wasting time googling what might or might not be right, if even relevant, lol…

Reaction score
When I plug in my standard A B usb to midi cable, it sticks out about a quarter of an inch, as I think it is too long for that input. Is that what’s supposed to happen?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I'm not sure which end you're talking about-- MIDI or USB-- but if it's in as far as it will go in and the interface is working, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Ask a Question