DGX-620 keybed acting up

Wes

Reaction score
Hey, All;

I have a recurring intermittent problem with my DGX-620 which is frustrating the heck out of me.

The issue is that when playing certain keys, such as E to Eb, with legato articulation, the second key struck does not sound. No problems with staccato articulation OR simultaneous striking. It also affects A to Bb (multiple octaves). It's the strangest bug! Coming-and-going of the problem might be triggered by moving the keyboard; not 100% sure though.

I made a video awhile ago which illustrates the problem --

The problem affects two pairs of keys, in all octaves -- but only the adjacent keys interfere with each other. So, for example, if I hold Eb3 I can't play E3, but I can play E2, E4, etc. Similarly, if I hold E2 I can't play Eb2, but I can play Eb3, Eb4, etc. Similar pattern for A and Bb.

It really is a puzzling problem. I can't think of a way a bad key contact or loose connector would affect a scanning matrix to cause this, but I have very limited experience here anyhow (CS lectures 20 years ago!) My gut tells me that whatever LSIC controls the keyboard scanning is losing its mind, but I'm really hoping that my gut is wrong. Argh, give me a Hammond manual any day! :)

If anybody has any experience with this problem, I'd love to learn what you know. My local tech is going have a chat with Yamaha Canada, maybe they will also be able to ID the issue from my problem description. I'm not trying to get out of paying the piper, but I AM hoping that I can avoid paying $200-$300 for the wrong part....so more information could be very helpful!

Thanks,
Wes

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It sounds like a firmware issue to me. Not a real fix but a possible workaround might be to adjust or eliminate the velocity curve on the keyboard.

What happens when you adjust or turn off velocity sensitivity?

Personally though, I think it's defective firmware which places the ball squarely in Yamaha's court.

Ask a Question