DGX 650

Reaction score
A few days ago I purchased a Yamaha DGX 650 keyboard and I would like to know if there any way to play a ritardando when you have voiced in a 140 mm and style setting of 166? I am a newbie at this keyboard.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Playing a ritardando involves a gradual decrease in the tempo of the piece of music you play.

Yes it can be achieved if you are accompanying yourself or playing along with a backing track that includes it.

Style playback involves playing along at the tempo you set and the tempo stays the same until you stop playing, it is just a feature of the set auto accompaniment that is a function of these DP’s and of Arrangers. So no, you cannot play ritardando under these conditions since the Style playback tempo is fixed.

I believe it may be possible via MIDI control of the tempo via a pedal but I am unsure if your DGX is capable of this level of control. Or tap tempo controllers are available but I am unsure if they would work with your DGX.

OK so that said it is worth having a play with your keyboard to see if by using the Tap Tempo button on the keyboard whilst playing you can achieve a slowdown of the style playback, can you try this and get back to us?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Check the manual for your model to see what it says. Most Yamaha arrangers let you play a style's Ending with ritardando by pressing the Ending button twice. In fact, I'm looking at the manual right now, and I see that the button which triggers the style's Ending is labeled the same as it is on my PSR-E models: "INTRO/ENDING/rit.," where "rit." means "ritardando."

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
By the way, since the DGX-650 is an older model, I'm guessing you probably bought it used, which might mean that you didn't get a paper copy of the manual. But whether you did or didn't, I highly recommend going to Yamaha's site and downloading the PDF versions of all available documents for your keyboard. It's a lot easier to find specific information in the manual by searching the PDF version for a given word or phrase.

And while you're at it, you might want to grab the service manual as well-- even if you'll hopefully never need it.

Ask a Question