DGX 660 LOW VOLUME OUTPUT

Reaction score

[IMG alt="Bhongwi"]https://www.keyboardforums.com/data/avatars/m/8/8924.jpg?1572216030[/IMG]

Bhongwi
JoinedDec 15, 2016Messages8Reaction score3LocationManchester UK
Today at 7:35 PM
Hi Folks

Please HELP!!!!
Am getting interference, low humming distortion noise coming from speakers and my right hand piano notes not so clear (muffled) and of abnormally lower volume than rest of music both when playing with ACMP on and piano room .
Must be something I am not doing right here sure. How did I arrive on the levels I have used - I fiddled around and get the MY best results with these. Please CORRECT me....thank you ever so much....

I have hooked my dgx 660 to pmp 2000 amp ( jack end of cable connected to 'phones output' of keyboard and xlr end connected to pmp on channel 7). Pmp 2000 is connected to 1st active 12" 350w subzero speaker ( jack side coming out of pmp through 'preamp output' - 'monitor slot'; then xlr end into 'line in' slot on 1st speaker). I then have xlr and coming from 'line out' of 1st speaker connecting into 'line in' on 2nd speaker.
Master level on dgx 660 is set to halfway between min and max

Master level on pmp 2000 is set on zero
Individual channel 7 white knob (level set on zero
Individual channel 7 mon knob set on 4
Monitor level on pmp 2000 set on 4
Mode on pmp 2000 set to left/right

Subzero 1st speaker (350w) master level set on 7
1st speaker 'Line in' level set on -5dB
1st speaker level set on -5

Subzero 2nd speaker (350w) (daiysed) master level set on 6
2nd speaker line in set to -6dB

My keyboard, amplifier, two active speakers are all using ONE ine source of electricity (5 way extension socket).

Thanking you in advance

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try using a DI Box between the keyboard and the amp.

Also be careful how you position the Line Out Cords relative to the power cords.

And is there any computer hookup in the equation?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
@ happyrat1, thank you, will source for DI box and fit. Have made sure speaker and power cables are spaced from each other in the meantime.

@ b3maniac, I still got a lot to learn, where can I correct my lay out to make it easier for me please? Thank you.

@CowboyNQ, thank you, now that you mentioned it, the jack out of the keyboard ( doubling as headphone socket) has one black line (guessing that means TS). Will go out and buy either cable adaptor or jack to xlr with 2 black lines (TRS).
....learning quickly, thank you so much guys!!!!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, the number of black* grooved lines on the plug indicates whether it's a TS, TRS, TRRS, or TRRRS plug. The area between any two adjacent painted grooves is a "ring," so 1 line is TS, 2 lines is TRS, 3 lines is TRRS, and 4 lines is TRRRS.

*Some plugs have grooved lines which are painted other colors, sometimes to match the color of the jack on devices that have color-coded jacks (lime green, light blue, rose pink, etc.).

Reaction score
Yes, the number of black* grooved lines on the plug indicates whether it's a TS, TRS, TRRS, or TRRRS plug. The area between any two adjacent painted grooves is a "ring," so 1 line is TS, 2 lines is TRS, 3 lines is TRRS, and 4 lines is TRRRS.

*Some plugs have grooved lines which are painted other colors, sometimes to match the color of the jack on devices that have color-coded jacks (lime green, light blue, rose pink, etc.).
..thank you SeaGtGruff, don't know why, but always thought lines were some form of decor ( ha! laughing at myself)
May I ask, now that I am learning that there are 1, 2, 3 ,4 lines etc etc, what factor decides which one of these I need to use, let's say, in terms of equipment? Like for instance, if I got one with 3 rings for the dgx 660 connection do I get better quality sound?
Once more, thank you for being patient with me, but hey folks, what I'm learning here is invaluable, thank you!!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The type of jack that the equipment has determines the kind of plug you need, and you do not want to use the wrong kind of plug or you could damage your equipment.

TS is used for unbalanced mono connections.

TRS is used for stereo connections, but some equipment uses it for balanced mono connections.

TRRS is typically used by equipment that has a jack for a headset with stereo for the headphones plus mono for a microphone.

I'm not exactly sure what TRRRS is used for, but you can read more about the different types here:

Reaction score
The type of jack that the equipment has determines the kind of plug you need, and you do not want to use the wrong kind of plug or you could damage your equipment.

TS is used for unbalanced mono connections.

TRS is used for stereo connections, but some equipment uses it for balanced mono connections.

TRRS is typically used by equipment that has a jack for a headset with stereo for the headphones plus mono for a microphone.

I'm not exactly sure what TRRRS is used for, but you can read more about the different types here:

Thank you so so much, this is very enlightening.

Reaction score
Hi folks

Reporting back.....

Went, bought and connected XLR/TRS jack, (DGX 660 to PMP 2000 amp), did a tidy-up of the cables ( power and speaker cables placed well seperated) and reset keyboard to factory settings. The humming + interference noise vanished.....hooray!!!
Still not got around the right hand side low volume issue though.
Will keep hammering away!!

Thank you so much for the help and advice so far!!

Reaction score
Hi folks

Still not got around the right hand side low volume issue though.
Will keep hammering away!!

I noticed some piece of info in the PMP 2000user manual about the particular channel you were using for input. There is a note about setting up that channel for use. You might read the manual and see if that is related to the low volume right hand side. Good luck.

Ask a Question