DGX 660 Song files

Reaction score
Hi, I have Yamaha DGX 660.
Maybe can anyone help me. If I save my User songs to USB drive, it is in .usr file. I need it in .mid file. It is possible? I wanna edit my own compositions in other midi programs etc.
2. The other big problem for me:
I wanna load from USB a song in standard midi to the DGX 660 and modify it. For example delete the 6th track, and record new rhytm etc. and save as a new song. But is not possible. I can not copy from USB to the DGX User songs SMF file to edit.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
1. See "Saving a User Song to USB Flash Drive" on page 84 of the DGX-660 Owner's Manual.

2. The Song Recorder on the DGX-660 isn't able to do that. You'll need to edit the song on your computer using a DAW or other MIDI editor. Connect your keyboard to your computer using a USB 2 cable of appropriate length (no longer than 3 meters, and preferably shorter), load the MIDI song file into your DAW, and then you can delete any of the MIDI tracks or just record over them with the keyboard, including the accompaniment tracks. Be sure to turn on the keyboard's "Style Out" function so the style's MIDI data will be output for recording.

Unfortunately, there are some issues that complicate this process, having to do with the "SInit" measure which contains all of the system, voice, and effects settings, as well as the channels that the keyboard uses for everything (Main Voice, Dual Voice, Split Voice, and Style). It's difficult to explain those issues in a brief reply, but I can go into them later if you want to pursue this.

Reaction score
1. See "Saving a User Song to USB Flash Drive" on page 84 of the DGX-660 Owner's Manual.

2. The Song Recorder on the DGX-660 isn't able to do that. You'll need to edit the song on your computer using a DAW or other MIDI editor. Connect your keyboard to your computer using a USB 2 cable of appropriate length (no longer than 3 meters, and preferably shorter), load the MIDI song file into your DAW, and then you can delete any of the MIDI tracks or just record over them with the keyboard, including the accompaniment tracks. Be sure to turn on the keyboard's "Style Out" function so the style's MIDI data will be output for recording.

Unfortunately, there are some issues that complicate this process, having to do with the "SInit" measure which contains all of the system, voice, and effects settings, as well as the channels that the keyboard uses for everything (Main Voice, Dual Voice, Split Voice, and Style). It's difficult to explain those issues in a brief reply, but I can go into them later if you want to pursue this.
Thank you for your quick answer. I've been dealing with midi systems since 1993, I'm a songwriter, piano-keyboard, guitar, vocal and more. This instrument is a huge disappointment for me. Its threading system is based on the slow, cumbersome and useless version of the cheap PSR series. Unrecognizable, unable to capture basic functions such as merge, copy, overdube, punch in, cut etc. The controls are ridiculously poor quality. I wanted 88 keyboards and I can only enjoy the nice piano sounds. The most serious design error is the lack of in-out standard midi. In 1993, I bought a PSR SQ16 instrument, but unfortunately it was stolen in 2000 after a concert. Compared to this, the DGX 660 midi knowledge is disappointing. I work with many Windows midi programs and because of my privacy issues, I made the mistake of downloading the DGX 660 without testing. Thank you for your reply and don't be angry if I ask for your help.
Here you can listen to my parents' compilation of my 2014 Home Studio CD album.
Greetings from Hungary.

Ask a Question