DGX 660 Vs Clavinova CVP 701

Reaction score
Dear friends

I'm considering buying a piano style keyboard.

Main features I'm looking for: number of user rhythms, quality of sounds ( E Piano, Organ) and of course price?

Do you think: Can DGX 660 compete with Clavinova CVP 701?
DGX costs 50% less? I'm not sure about the sounds and number of user rhythms?

Mayo

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Chalk and cheese.

Totally depends upon your expectations, limited voices on the DGX, with 51 basic and 205 styles v Cvp with 777 voices and 310 styles.

Both are very good instruments at their price point, I would not think that the quality of the samples used in the DGX would be as good as those in the CVP, if that was the case Yamaha would not be selling many CVP keyboards.

Just for a moment look at the Korg PA4X arranger with its 1900 voices and 500+ Styles for a similar price to the CVP. Yamaha have an SX900 arranger which has very good reviews.

It may well be that a different keyboard could meet your expectations although compromises would need to be made with the number and weighting of the keys.

If you have a Music Store within a reasonable distance then why not pay them a visit if the they have the models on display?

There are videos to watch on the Yamaha product website, this is their overview of the DGX, there are more for the DVP on its page

Ad

Advertisements

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The DGX-660 is GM- and XGlite-compatible, whereas the CVP-701 is GM-, GM2, RS-, and XG-compatible. You might not need to worry about GM2 and RS compatibility, but XGlite is just a lite version of XG, so the CVP-701 will be able to use a number of advanced MIDI messages and XG functions which aren't available on the DGX-660.

If you care about integrating the keyboard with other MIDI hardware, the DGX-660 doesn't have MIDI ports, just a USB-MIDI port, whereas the CVP-701 has a USB-MIDI port as well as MIDI IN, OUT, and THRU ports.

As far as styles or auto accompaniment, the DGX-660 can play only two style variations-- A and B-- whereas the CVP-701 can play four style variations-- A, B, C, and D.

Ask a Question