DGX-670: Can I record vocals + piano in two tracks simultaneously?

Reaction score
I often play and sing and with the MOXF8 I could record my vocals respectively the synth on two distinct tracks in Cubase simultaneously. I use Cubase ai 11, the version that comes with an instrument. I remember I could send the vocals on a different channel (out of 4) through USB.

I investigated whether it is possible with the DGX 670, but some months ago now. I think my conclusion was no, but could anyone confirm this please?

I think it is only possible to have 2 channels so stereo in total and the piano needs to be in stereo so the microphone probably has to go there, when you make a bus in Cubase for audio (but maybe not). Or could one record the piano as midi while recording the vocals as audio, into the DAW? I know I can both record midi and audio on two different tracks but am not too knowledgable about this area. Usually I just record audio and then cut and edit the track in Cubase.

I like the convenience of recording the audio of the piano with the onboard sounds, as opposed to use instruments in Cubase for midi tracks. I know the Yamaha sounds are great.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The DGX-670 has stereo output, as you already noted, so I think the only way to record the keyboard's voices and your vocals to separate audio tracks would be to connect your microphone to an external audio interface so you can record the keyboard to a stereo track and record your vocals to a separate mono track.

Reaction score
The DGX-670 has stereo output, as you already noted, so I think the only way to record the keyboard's voices and your vocals to separate audio tracks would be to connect your microphone to an external audio interface so you can record the keyboard to a stereo track and record your vocals to a separate mono track.
Thanks. I have the feeling too, and you confirm it only has stereo. If it had more channels it would show in the bus right? I remember that I made several busses in Cubase with the MOXF8 and there I could have a stereo and a mono for the vocals. But probably because that synth had this feature of not putting it all into the same signal.
REgarding the alternative option: I wonder if I can sit and record the piano track through DGX 670's audio interface, while simultaneously recording the vocals through an USB from an USB microphone (or a regular dynamic through an audio interface)? I guess it would be recorded ,while perhaps with a slight delay difference?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I believe you should see all available audio channels when you "look" at the DGX-670 in your DAW, yes. But I'm just looking at its specs on Yamaha's site, and as far as I dan tell the specs indicate that its USB connection has stereo output.

As for any delay differences when recording, you should be able to trim or pad the individual tracks as needed after they've been recorded so that their timings are in sync.

Reaction score
Thank you for that ☺️ I just bought a USB mic for my son, which is good for singing as well. I wonder if two different audio interfaces will be accepted by the daw simultaneously: That built into the DGX 670 and the one in the USB microphone. But perhaps you meant to run both the piano and the mic through one external audio interface like the Focusrite 2i2, then selecting that within the DAW while ignoring the steinberg USB interface in the keyboard?

Reaction score
You would probably be better with the 4i4, the 2i2 is more suited to guitar and mike.

Maybe a standalone recording mixer could meet your needs.

This records to twelve tracks at the same time and each track or all of them can be outputted to a Computer.
FE8878F4-12E3-4995-95AF-0351DC370619.jpeg

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, a DAW should be able to see and record audio from different sources (external devices) at the same time.

Reaction score
Txs to y'all. I tend to keep things as simple as possible, in order to focus on the music. So if doable I will try with the separate inputs and avoid another audio unterface. I know some believe a usb can't compare to an xlr but i believe it may, if its interface is good enough

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am still keeping in mind the mixer thing. Sometimes changing might seem hard before doing it. But at the moment I don't have a band. So if I get a band it will be necessary of course. THen some 4i4 will become invaluable or unavoidable or inevitable..whatever. Hell I avoided getting the Mp7 from Kawai because of 1) The accompaniment/styles of the DGX 2) MP7 lacking an audio Interface 3) not being able to plug a mic 4) Yamaha has great sounds (speaking as an owner of 7 Yamahas, all previous sold). Hear that Kawai? Yes I know they made some 920 something. Yamaha seems to be the better choice for someone like me: A meat and potato guy.

Ask a Question