DGX-670 GM & XG Voices

Reaction score
I just bought the DGX-670 - I had the 660 and 650 models. I'm going crazy trying to access the XG & GM voices...can't find them yet I see a list (Found it online) of all the additional voices within those areas for the 670. On my previous models (660/650) I could scroll through and find the all the voices together...what am I missing and how do I access the GM/XG voices - they should be loaded up onto my keyboard and not something I have to purchase additionally correct?

Reaction score
Welcome.

Whilst Yamaha manuals suck, there is a Data List that shows all the voices.

It does list GM & XG and in there is listed Trumpet 1.

If you select Brass and scroll through them all do you see one called …. Trumpet 1

Reaction score
I looked under "brass & woodwinds" on top of the keyboard where all the voices are...hit it...scrolled through it - Nothing that says Trumpet 1. Lots of Trumpets but no Trumpet 1. I clicked on them all...just the voice it describes. I went into Legacy voice folder and searched Brass and in Mega Voice folder and searched Brass...no trumpet 1 or link to GM/XG voices.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Maybe Yamaha dropped support for GM completely.

Kurzweil did it with the PC4 2 years ago.

These truly are strange times we are entering into. :eek:

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Try pressing the 8 button to bring up the Categories not shown.

Repeatedly pressing the 8 seems to scroll through sub categories.

It sort of explains on p39 of the Reference manual, most of which is written in Klingon as it is a Yamaha.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yamaha and most other keyboard manufacturers don't seem to like to sort/list the GM, GM2, and their older proprietary "legacy" voices with their newer proprietary voices for some reason. If you look at the voice list for a given model, the voices in the list are typically grouped together in different categories, and the older voices such as the GM, GM2, XG, and XGlite voices will be in their own category after all of the other ones.

Usually you can scroll through all of the other categories of the newer voices to get to the category at the end that contains the older voices. However, on some of the newer keyboards the manufacturers appear to have removed the legacy voices from the voice selection menus entirely. They're still on the keyboard, but seem to be there only so that MIDI song files will be able to play them when required. In cases like that you should still be able to select and use the legacy voices by specifying their MIDI Bank Select and Program Change values, but there might not be a way to do that from the menus.

Reaction score

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
That sounds similar to what I heard a few years ago about the newer PSR-S models. As I mentioned, there might not be a(n easy) way to select them for live playing. Now that I'm thinking back, I seem to recall that what some users of the other models ended up doing was to create their own User Voices for the "missing" Legacy voices. Basically, one type of User Voice is stored as a small MIDI file that specifies the Bank Select and Program Change values for an existing voice on the keyboard, then applies other settings changes such as Reverb and Chorus settings, or changes to the default ADSR envelope settings. What some users did was create their own GM or XG User Voice files which selected the "missing" voices.

Reaction score
You missed them

Page 7

Category: GM & XG

Totally different from other locations.

Humour me, press button 8 and keep repeatedly pressing it to see if it brings up categories not listed.

Come back to us with what you find.

Reaction score
Well - Straight from YAMAHA I got my official answer. And this is a departure from the parevious DGX where you could access the additional voices.

Thank you for contacting Yamaha Support. This is covered on page 106, the GM/XG voices are for song play back only. There's not any secret category they are in and you didn't miss anything since they are just for song playback.
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/1/1345721/dgx670_en_om_c0.pdf
I am double checking with marketing but these are only for songplay back or accessing from a DAW by sending the MSB LSB and PC info from a DAW. They cannot be played from the DGX itself. If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,
John Harjo
Yamaha Customer Support
(800) 854-1569

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yep, I believe that is how they did it on the newer PSR-S(X?) models, and possibly the Genos.

But I think (but am not certain) that you can create your own User Voice files which select the older voices using the desired Bank/Program values. That is assuming you can create and load User Voice files on the newer DGX the way you can on the PSR-S models; I haven't checked the manual, but I would hope that you can.

I think some of the other manufacturers have made similar moves with some of their models and legacy voices.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Like I said, Kurzweil dropped GM 2 years ago with the PC4. Maybe they are pushing some new standard in the works.

Reaction score
Well - Straight from YAMAHA I got my official answer. And this is a departure from the parevious DGX where you could access the additional voices.

Thank you for contacting Yamaha Support. This is covered on page 106, the GM/XG voices are for song play back only. There's not any secret category they are in and you didn't miss anything since they are just for song playback.
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/1/1345721/dgx670_en_om_c0.pdf
I am double checking with marketing but these are only for songplay back or accessing from a DAW by sending the MSB LSB and PC info from a DAW. They cannot be played from the DGX itself. If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,
John Harjo
Yamaha Customer Support
(800) 854-1569

As it seems, even Yamaha does not know what is really inside their instruments. In fact, there is a way to get access to the hidden GM & XG voices. In relevant styles websites like https://www.psrtutorial.com/sty/collections/index.html - especially among the "Henni" styles - you find many examples using the hidden voices like "Koto" or "YangQing". When they are used within a certain style, the DGX-670 screen even provides the correct pictures for them, proving that these voices are indeed stored somewhere in the internal data bank. These voices can be copied to a USB stick, and from there you can reload and use them later, when playing or recording your own songs.
Best regards
Hans from Berlin

Reaction score

It sort of explains on p39 of the Reference manual, most of which is written in Klingon as it is a Yamaha.
thanks.
I looked under "brass & woodwinds" on top of the keyboard where all the voices are...hit it...scrolled through it - Nothing that says Trumpet 1. Lots of Trumpets but no Trumpet 1. I clicked on them all...just the voice it describes. I went into Legacy voice folder and searched Brass and in Mega Voice folder and searched Brass...no trumpet 1 or link to GM/XG voices.
howdy, on my Yamaha DGX-670 instrument selection screen I've noticed a Demo (upper button 7) dimmed out.Retracing my steps it was whilst using the mixer to change sounds in a midi file. Good news is the mixer shows all the voices available for playback including GM&XG, GM2 and GS full instrument folders. The bad news is (and dear god prove me wrong, please) is pressing ENTER only changes the voice in the mixer to playback that voice. Your keyboard itself is unaffected by that mixer setting...

Reaction score

My Reference manual page 39 is labeled 'NTR (Note Transition Rule)'. I believe you are referring to page 39 of the Owner's manual which says '3 Select the desired voice by using the cursor buttons ...'

Reaction score
I found a way to access GM, XG, and GM2 voices. It is annoying to get working, but luckily since the dgx-670 supports usb voice backup, I can just post a download link to all the voices I've been able to extract. I'll be uploading a video explaining how to set this up on YouTube, and I will update you all once I have the voices uploaded.

Reaction score
Here are all the extracted voices. To use them on the keyboard just throw them onto a usb stick. If you can't figure out how to transfer the voices refer to this video:

Attachments

• GM, XG, and GM2 Voices (DGX-670).zip
    360.2 KB · Views: 126
Reaction score
It all depends of the age of the synthesizers cause my psr9000 support GM/GM2/XG and all sounds of the Tyros 3.

Reaction score
Here are all the extracted voices. To use them on the keyboard just throw them onto a usb stick. If you can't figure out how to transfer the voices refer to this video:
Thanks. Yes, the mixer already shows those files available for the styles and any existing user midi songs, but NOT for the MAIN keyboard itself. You've now improved the performance capabilities by adding those voices to user to actually play on the keyboard. Thanks again!

Ask a Question