DGX230 Midi connection problem

Reaction score
I got one of those usb to Midi din cables adapter but it won't communicate with a Midi patcher or any other Yamaha midi keyboards, but the usb cable (printer type) works fine with my laptop.
Will appreciate any suggestion on this matter. Thaks.
Denmar

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The DGX-230 doesn't have MIDI ports; it has a USB port. You don't need a USB-MIDI adapter for it; you just connect the DGX-230 to a computer with a USB cable.

If you're trying to connect another MIDI device to the DGX-230, you can't do that directly via a USB-MIDI adapter. You'll need to use your laptop as a go-between so the data coming from or going to the DGX-230 can pass through Yamaha's USB-MIDI driver:

(1) Connect the DGX-230 to your laptop via USB, and make sure the correct Yamaha USB-MIDI driver has been installed on the laptop.

(2) Connect the other MIDI device to your laptop via the USB-MIDI adapter, and make sure the correct USB-MIDI driver for the adapter has been installed if necessary.

(3) Use a DAW to connect to the MIDI ports and to route the data as desired, or else use a MIDI router utility such as MIDI-OX.

Reaction score
The DGX-230 doesn't have MIDI ports; it has a USB port. You don't need a USB-MIDI adapter for it; you just connect the DGX-230 to a computer with a USB cable.

If you're trying to connect another MIDI device to the DGX-230, you can't do that directly via a USB-MIDI adapter. You'll need to use your laptop as a go-between so the data coming from or going to the DGX-230 can pass through Yamaha's USB-MIDI driver:

(1) Connect the DGX-230 to your laptop via USB, and make sure the correct Yamaha USB-MIDI driver has been installed on the laptop.

(2) Connect the other MIDI device to your laptop via the USB-MIDI adapter, and make sure the correct USB-MIDI driver for the adapter has been installed if necessary.

(3) Use a DAW to connect to the MIDI ports and to route the data as desired, or else use a MIDI router utility such as MIDI-OX.
Thanks for your help, I will do that, but let me tell u that I am using a Female to female usb adapter; Would this switch the gender? (since are called gender chenger)

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I will do that, but let me tell u that I am using a Female to female usb adapter; Would this switch the gender? (since are called gender chenger)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Use a standard USB cable to connect the keyboard to the laptop-- often referred to as a "USB printer cable," having a squarish plug on one end (type B male) and a flattened plug on the other end (type A male). The ports on the keyboard and laptop are female (type B female on the keyboard, type A female on the laptop).

I assume you were using the female-to-female adaptor so you could connect the type A male plug on the USB-MIDI adaptor to the type A male plug on a USB cable going to the keyboard? You shouldn't need it, although it might be a nice thing to hang onto in case you ever do need one.

Reaction score
Use a standard USB cable to connect the keyboard to the laptop-- often referred to as a "USB printer cable," having a squarish plug on one end (type B male) and a flattened plug on the other end (type A male). The ports on the keyboard and laptop are female (type B female on the keyboard, type A female on the laptop).

I assume you were using the female-to-female adaptor so you could connect the type A male plug on the USB-MIDI adaptor to the type A male plug on a USB cable going to the keyboard? You shouldn't need it, although it might be a nice thing to hang onto in case you ever do need one.
Well, the idea of the fem to fem adapter was to connect the Dgx direct to the patcher to control 3 more instruments and 1 effect processor, 1drum machine,
1equalizer; wich I just to do with a DX100, but is no longer working.

Ask a Question