DGX660 Player Assist Features

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from a dgx 630 to the 660. On the 630 there were features that allowed me to play a track and then basically press any key and the note that would be played would be a note native to that song. Basically I could play any key and it sounded correct. I want to know how to program the dgx 660 to do the same thing. Please help! I'm a novice player at best and really enjoyed that particular function.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think the feature you're referring to is called "Performance Assistance," and Yamaha seems to have abandoned it for whatever reason. For instance, the Performance Assistance feature is included on my YPT-400 (from 2006), but not on my PSR-E433 (from 2012) and later models.

It could be that the feature was felt to be more detrimental than helpful to people learning to play, since playing the wrong keys would still produce the correct notes, removing both the auditory feedback that lets the player know a mistake was made, as well as the incentive to learn the correct keys to play.

I know of no way to program a keyboard to emulate the Performance Assistant feature if it isn't already included, but there may be a computer app that can do something similar. I was about to suggest PianoBooster, but after looking at its list of features I don't think it can do this.

Reaction score
Welcome

I would not use artificial aids if I was you, learn correctly and you will be set up for the rest of your playing life.

Ask a Question