DGX670-Speaker's volume low

Reaction score
Hi...i purchased a DGX670 and realised the speakers are so low...pushed the volume to the maximum and it's still low for such a big instrument. Anyone having the issue. At first i thought that was a configuration issue or hardwares but looks like not..anyone having the same issue. So we have no choice than amplifying the sound through the headphones/output jack ?

Reaction score

Reaction score
hmm thx for this....so looks like there's really an isssue with the speakers of teh DGX670....and indeed the output to a mixer is complicated as per the thread you shared.....and if you get the wrong jack the sound will not be of good quality..thx again

Reaction score
The audio output/headphone Jack is not a very complicated problem.
It’s not really even a problem.
The DGX audio Jack is a standard TRS stereo jack.
Stereo means two channels of audio.
Speakers are typically mono devices, they can take only one channel of audio.

So you simply need a cable/adapter that splits the stereo coming from the DGX Jack into two mono channel wires with (TS) plugs or jacks. Each of those goes to one powered speaker.
This is a standard, super-common cable/adapter.
It looks like a Y with one 1/4” TRS plug at the base of the Y and two TS plugs or jacks each at the arms of the Y.

no mixer is required, but you can make use of one with this same adapter if you like to have more complexity.

Reaction score
I have the same low volume with my DGX-670. I bought a Roland CM-30 and plugged it into the headphone jack and it is plenty loud. I do wish that the 670 was louder on it's own though.

Reaction score
DGX670. To increase the output you can use EQ, there is a GAIN adjustment but caution to do small adjustments so as not to overdrive the pre-amps.
Also adjust the Compression, I have mine set to PUNCH which gives the sound more vibrant.
Ensure the Compression is switched ON.

drs

Reaction score
Hi...i purchased a DGX670 and realised the speakers are so low...pushed the volume to the maximum and it's still low for such a big instrument. Anyone having the issue. At first i thought that was a configuration issue or hardwares but looks like not..anyone having the same issue. So we have no choice than amplifying the sound through the headphones/output jack ?
In reply to Alphaomega: as gwcuk already indicated, improving on the DGX670 default low speaker volume can be done in the EQ submenu of the Mixer menu, the top of which is entered by pressing the Mixer button (to the bottom left of the display screen). Once the top of this menu is visible, use TAB right button to get to MasrerEQ settings. I cannot remember for sure but seem to recall most if not all values EQ-1 thru 5 plus Total Gain default to zero.

Upon finding both speaker volume & headphone volume low by default, i first tried tweaking TG up. By the time i got to +6, the speakers were suitably loud on full volume (panel knob) and the headphone port volume was better but still too low for me. By the time i tweaked gain to +9, headphone output was where i wanted it BUT speaker output was too high/distorting, so i backed off to +6, then went into the Compressor menu and by using the Ouput meter as a gauge, was able to enable one of the Compressor options and lower the Compression virtual knob to ensure no clipping of output when playing loud dynamics. I’m still playing with various of these params since there are so many to play with.

As to unsatisfactory headphone output, i might try an inexpensive headphone amp. I suspect the headphone line-level may be lower than usual for a DP because it’s a shared headphone/line-out port. Also, ive seen other owners of Yami DPs report that their model also has unsatisfactory volume level …. so perhaps this is partly a Yamaha trait.

As a follow up to gmeader re: the somewhat odd headphone / line-out port, after months of headscratching, i eventually determined that a Y cable will probably suffice for attaching the 670 to external monitors or amp. However, after initially reading about this shared port, it seemed odd. If this was a $400 bargain basement DP with no LEDs, no config screen and such, it would make more sense. But for a recent new design, it generated all kinds of theories as to why Yamaha gave it a single shared line-out port. After watching many review videos - at least 2 directly sponsored in part by Yamaha - it was both noticeable and comical how each of these videos, in there own ways, avoided the simple 1 or 2 sentences to clearly explain considerations for using the headphone port as a line out ….. like “ yes, we know it is typical for line out to be facilitated by 2-line-level ports instead of a single, shared headphone port , but just get a Y cable and then attach it to typical line-out devices such as monitors, mixer or amp/PA and it will probably work fine”.

Ask a Question