DGX670 Video Over An Hour...In Depth Options Review

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There have been quite a few negatives about this board posted here on the forums already.

The lack of XG and GM voices for recording for instance.

Marketing hype should never be taken at face value.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You should still be able to use the GM and "legacy" XG voices, but I believe you need to create some voice files which select the desired bank and program values for the GM and XG voices. This issue has been around for a while with some of Yamaha's other recent models, so there are probably already some GM and XG voice files which users have created for other models so they can easily select the older voices.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I don't consider having to manually remap 384 voices in my or any DAW a trivial matter.

IF someone did it for you, that's a BIG IF.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I don't consider having to manually remap 384 voices in my or any DAW a trivial matter.

IF someone did it for you, that's a BIG IF.
True, but that's why you let someone else do all the work creating voice files for their keyboard, or a patch list for their DAW, and then share it with you and everyone else so you can enjoy the fruits of their labors!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
In that case, thank you for sharing your labors with us! :D

Actually, in this particular case, other Yamaha PSR-S owners have already created their own GM and XG voice files for their models, and I think those voice files should work on a DGX-670.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
They have to be scripted for EACH individual DAW and OS.

Last time I checked that amounts to dozens, if not hundreds of permutations for each individual setup.

You'd better start thanking dozens of hackers out there and pray you never have to do it yourself.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Actually, the voice files I'm referring to are for loading into the keyboard's "user" memory so they can be selected on the keyboard just like the "panel" voices are. I get what you're saying about DAWs-- and it sure would be nice if there were some kind of universal standard for instrument definitions or patch lists that all of the DAWs out there would recognize and load-- but my original point was that there's an existing solution for getting around the manufacturer's unfortunate decision to make those older voices "inaccessible."

Ask a Question