Did Patrick Moraz use his Clavinet anywhere on the Relayer album?

Reaction score
(I posted this query over on GearSlutz several months ago and didn't get a single reply!)

I realize this is a totally geeky prog-nerd question, but after some recent conversations about the use of the Hohner Clavinet D6 in mid-70s British prog-rock, I'm left with a gaping hole in my prog-nerd trivia:

Patrick Moraz used the Clavinet extensively in Refugee, the band he played in before recording Relayer with Yes; he also used the Clavinet on his Story of i album, released in 1976 under the auspices of the Every Member Of Yes Gets A Solo Album project of 75-76. So it stands to reason that a Clavinet was part of his keyboard arsenal when he went into the studio with Yes to record Relayer, right?

But can anyone cite an example of Clavinet use on the Relayer album?

If this question continues to drive me nuts I may have to actually (gasp!) sit down and listen to that album in its entirety, something I probably haven't done in >30 years. Save me from an attack of nostalgia!

Reaction score
I can't believe that I actually listened through the whole Relayer album and registered on this forum just because of this post... but I listened to it a few weeks ago and couldn't remember any Clavinet featured so I just had to check. Unlike you, I have never heard any other work by Patrick Moraz, though I started discovering the prog scene not more than a year ago or so...

Being a great fan of the Hohner Clavinet, I regret to tell you that I couldn't hear anything at all being played on one during Relayer. Sure some sounds COULD be the clav, but most of them are more likely to be the works of Chris Squire, and the others could be Rhodes, they are low in the mix and not that common either. Not the way I like the clavinet to be used, I often want it to be a main instrument like in this song by my band: http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_13198250?

I do understand to a certain extent that Patrick didn't feature the clav on Relayer, it is a very "sweepy" album and unless you are like me and like to drench your clav in a 12-stage Moog phaser most of the time (only in 6-stage mode in the song linked above, in 12 stage mode in "Naim" and "Étaín") the clav stands out as quite static and could disturb the atmosphere. Again I haven't heard how Patrick usually treats his clav so it all depends I guess. Maybe he was just so into his customized and home-built synthesizers at the time that he forgot his clav?

However, I strongly advise you to listen through the album, it is an amazing journey! In many ways it reminds me of Jon Anderson's first solo album "Olias of Sunhillow", atmosphere-wise of course not lyrically.

Reaction score
File this under Better Late Than Never...

Was just listening to "Soundchaser" and I *think* I detect a Clavinet at 8:37, doubling the riff that ends the Micro-Moog solo.

Maybe...

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Bob,
Welcome back! (If I can be so bold).
I wasn't on board here back in 2012.

It is an interesting topic which sent me searching and reseaching (via google and youtube) "relayer" the clavinet, all of The "Yes" keyboardists etc. .

I once owned Relayer and never really liked it. I was young then. It was an obscure sound and nothing like "The Yes" album which I rank one of my favourites of all time.

So you got me playing Relayer once again. I am listening to the keys mainly. I am still un-moved.

The Clavinet has a nice sound and quite unique. But is very limited. Nothing about it inspires me. Stevie' Wonder's "Superstion" is the one positive however.

So anyway you have also inspired me to look into some of Patrick Moraz's other stuff. That is my current project. He has a ton of music which I need to explore.

Thanks Bob.

Cheers ray

Reaction score
Ah, then you owe it to yourself to check out some Refugee. Clavinet was definitely a staple of Patrick's rig with that band. E.g.,

Not heard of these guys, great keys and bass, dire drummer.

Was the drummer always playing along to a different song?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Was the drummer always playing along to a different song?
That is rather harsh Col!:eek:.
Usually the drummer sets the pace with timing and beat. But in this case the keys were the dominant feature of that tune. I think the drummer was keeping pace with the keys. I thought it was a good mix and sounded okay to my ears. The drummer certainly worked hard but so did the keyboardist. A tough tune to play I would think.
Ray

Reaction score
That is rather harsh Col!:eek:.
Usually the drummer sets the pace with timing and beat. But in this case the keys were the dominant feature of that tune. I think the drummer was keeping pace with the keys. I thought it was a good mix and sounded okay to my ears. The drummer certainly worked hard but so did the keyboardist. A tough tune to play I would think.
Ray

Not really the drummer was constantly playing catch up and to me it was discordant.

Ask a Question