Different angle on an old question. DGX-660 loasing midi

Reaction score
I asked a while back if I could import a midi file into the user file area (User001 to 005). Answer was no.

So I expect this answer to be no also: Thinking through all this as I learn more. I can imagin that I may want to change /improve one of the tracks I recorded to a file. So with only 5 user file capability, it's not feasible to just leave all your completed files loaded up. I do realize I can save it, rename it and load it back up. But then it's not editable.

So, I'm thinking that all of that translates to a big no to this question: Having created a file from 5 tracks, and saving it out, then want to edit it later, you cannot load it up to edit. You would have to create every track all over again.

Is that accurate?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
After you internally record a user song with the keyboard's song recorder, then convert the user song to an external SMF ("Standard MIDI File"), you can import the MIDI file into a DAW ("digital audio workstation") or other MIDI editor to make changes to it there, including adding more tracks if you wish.

Afterward, you can export the MIDI tracks from the DAW to a new SMF-- or overwrite the old SMF, although IMO it's better to keep the original SMF in case you ever need to go back to it for any reason.

You can then load the new SMF into your keyboard to play it back if you wish.

However, if your eventual goal is to create a recording that you can share with other people, you might want to use the DAW to convert each MIDI track to an audio track, mix the audio tracks down to a single stereo track or final mix, and export the final audio mix to an audio file that can be played back by anyone, be it an MP3, WAV, or other audio file format.

Ask a Question