Digital piano recommendation

Reaction score
I'm interesting in buying a new, high quality digital piano and am looking for recommendations. I previously owned a Yamaha CVP 210. That had great sounds. I don't need the polished ebony look and don't want the extra weight that comes from imitating the look of an upright acoustic piano. I never learned to play with Yamaha's "styles" (play just a note or two and it supplies accompaniment, that you don't really control very easily) and don't want to learn those and would prefer a keyboard that has a much simpler user interface. So no "styles." I found the CVP 210 manual totally incomprehensible. Anytime I wanted to use the split voice feature, or change where the split in the keyboard occurred, I had to look it up again, and the book always sent you to 4 different pages to figure out one thing. I did like the sounds of the Yamaha CVP 210, both acoustic grand piano and other, and the variety, including bass, muted trumpet and tenor sax. I also liked that the keys were weighted. Weighted keys are a must and I'd be interested in trying hammer action keys. I'd like it if it were fairly simple to record one voice; then play that back while recording a different voice over it, etc., so as to put together something that sounds like a complete 5 piece jazz band, piano, bass, drums, trumpet, sax. Higher price is ok if it's worth it. So to summarize - high quality digital piano; 88 keys; weighted keys; intuitive user interface without an enormous number of buttons; a reasonable variety of instrument sounds (don't need 20 of each kind of instrument) and good quality sounds; more like a stage piano in weight than the upright or grand imitation styles; appearance not important. If it doesn't come with a bench, amp, speakers, stand, headphones please recommend those also.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
More bells and whistles than you want but if you are looking for one of the best stage pianos...

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The MP6 is c£1200 here in the UK

Its bigger brother which is the MP11 is £1900

Roland RD2000 £1800

Yamaha CP88 £1750

Downside of all these is probably the steep learning curve to get to know the functionality.

Do take a look at a much lower price all in one DP like a Yamaha DGX670 or Korg XE20 both retail at c£800 and include built in amp and speakers.

Ask a Question