Disable MIDI / Force audio Yamaha P-125 USB

Reaction score
Hey there; so the Yamaha P-125 has an audio interface built into the USB port which is awesome; so for example in GarageBand if you choose a MIDI track you will get MIDI and if you choose an audio track you will get audio. But with an app that doesn't let you make the choice within the app, and defaults to MIDI - is there a way to disable MIDI being transmitted from the piano so that (hopefully) the app will receive the audio?

Reaction score
AFAIK, the P125 is always sending MIDI and audio, and it would be settings within the app that would determine whether it sees one, the other, or both. What app is giving you trouble?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The P-125 might have a way to turn off its MIDI output. I'm looking at the 2-page P-125 Quick Operation Guide, and on page 2, under "Other Settings," there are four keys used for setting the "MIDI Transmit Channel," with the fourth key being "Off." So try this and see if it does what you want:

METRONOME + RHYTHM + C4 -- This decreases the MIDI Transmit Channel number by 1.
METRONOME + RHYTHM + C4# -- This sets the MIDI Transmit Channel number to its default value of 1.
METRONOME + RHYTHM + D4 -- This increases the MIDI Transmit Channel number by 1.
METRONOME + RHYTHM + D4# -- This sets the MIDI Transmit Channel to "Off."

Yamaha doesn't use International Pitch Notation numbering to refer to the notes on their keyboards, in which C4 is used to identify Middle C.

Instead, Yamaha refers to Middle C as C3, so D4# is the D# key in the octave above Middle C.

Reaction score
Ah, so you can turn off MIDI transmission. Though I would be surprised if turning that off meant that the other app in question could suddenly see the audio. The two should really be distinct things.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, I would think that the app should already be seeing an audio signal if it can receive audio, so as you asked earlier, we really need to know what the app is.

Reaction score
AFAIK, the P125 is always sending MIDI and audio, and it would be settings within the app that would determine whether it sees one, the other, or both. What app is giving you trouble?
It's the "Piano Adventures Sightreading Coach" app - and it's not me that's having the issue it's someone on my YouTube channel who posed the question; I don't have my P-125 anymore so I can't test this out but was trying to help her come up with some solutions. The app definitely sees audio; she said it works fine if she uses an external audio interface between the 125 and the iPad; it just doesn't seem to see the P125 audio with a direct USB connection.

Reaction score
The P-125 might have a way to turn off its MIDI output. I'm looking at the 2-page P-125 Quick Operation Guide, and on page 2, under "Other Settings," there are four keys used for setting the "MIDI Transmit Channel," with the fourth key being "Off." So try this and see if it does what you want:

METRONOME + RHYTHM + C4 -- This decreases the MIDI Transmit Channel number by 1.
METRONOME + RHYTHM + C4# -- This sets the MIDI Transmit Channel number to its default value of 1.
METRONOME + RHYTHM + D4 -- This increases the MIDI Transmit Channel number by 1.
METRONOME + RHYTHM + D4# -- This sets the MIDI Transmit Channel to "Off."

Yamaha doesn't use International Pitch Notation numbering to refer to the notes on their keyboards, in which C4 is used to identify Middle C.

Instead, Yamaha refers to Middle C as C3, so D4# is the D# key in the octave above Middle C.
That sounds possibly promising thanks! I had actually asked Yamaha directly if there was a way to do this and they said no :) I will pass this on as something for her to try, and let you know thanks so much!

Reaction score
The P125 has multiple downladable documents as per the screenshot.

The MIDI reference manual give the details stated above

C13787A0-2788-4CAA-873F-C30D23C3828B.png

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I was trying to figure out whether the app works under various operating systems, because there's a good chance that the computer needs to have the Steinberg USB Driver installed in order for it to correctly receive the P-125's audio over a USB connection.

Reaction score
I was trying to figure out whether the app works under various operating systems, because there's a good chance that the computer needs to have the Steinberg USB Driver installed in order for it to correctly receive the P-125's audio over a USB connection.
We don't know what the hardware is here, except that it runs Garageband, which means it's either Mac or iOS. Whatever it is, if Garageband can see the audio, other apps capable of receiving audio should be able to as well (with the same driver or lack thereof). I don't knw anything about ""Piano Adventures Sightreading Coach" -- Does anyone here know for a fact that it is supposed to be able to receive audio (and not just MIDI) from an attached instrument?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I don't know if the person having the issue uses GarageBand, or if that was just the person asking the question (on behalf of the person having the issue) using GarageBand as an example. The "app" that is actually having the problem is "Piano Adventures Sightreading Coach," which according to their website is available as an app for either iPad/iPhone or Android, but also runs on a computer as a browser-based service. So if fhe person who is trying to use the "app" is actually running this "app" in Chrome or Firefox on a Windows computer, they are likely going to need to have the Steinberg USB driver installed.

Reaction score
I don't know if the person having the issue uses GarageBand, or if that was just the person asking the question (on behalf of the person having the issue) using GarageBand as an example. The "app" that is actually having the problem is "Piano Adventures Sightreading Coach," which according to their website is available as an app for either iPad/iPhone or Android, but also runs on a computer as a browser-based service. So if fhe person who is trying to use the "app" is actually running this "app" in Chrome or Firefox on a Windows computer, they are likely going to need to have the Steinberg USB driver installed.
They're using an iPad

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
As far as I know, Steinberg doesn't make a USB driver for iPadOS, nor do any of the companies that make USB audio interfaces, because the built-in drivers should be able to handle everything. If the iPad app can see the audio coming from a USB audio interface, then I'd think it should be able to see the audio coming through the keyboard's USB signal.

Reaction score
As far as I know, Steinberg doesn't make a USB driver for iPadOS, nor do any of the companies that make USB audio interfaces, because the built-in drivers should be able to handle everything.
Apple does not permit the installation of 3rd party drivers on iOS.

Ask a Question