DIY

Reaction score
So...I maxed out my credit card by upgrading my keyboard choice to a Yamaha P125. (just unpacked it)
I cannot afford to actually purchase a keyboard stand, but I do have some lovely 2x4's in the wood pile.
Woodworking is one of my minor hobbies.
So, I intend to build my own stand.
Anyone who may have done this before please plug in.
Question:
The keyboard shows a female thread going up into the bottom of each corner.
I believe that these are to solidly mount the keyboard onto a base.
Any prior knowledge, thoughts, and advice are welcome as always.
Tony...

Reaction score
Take a look at the optional keyboard stand by Yamaha for your P125 and you should see that the vertical ends of the stands probably line up with the threaded holes that you refer to.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
When you say you are game for building a stand on your own, what level of skill and equipment do you have at your disposal?

Are we talking a basic sawhorse bench, or are we talking about a fine piece of oak veneered furniture?

Over the years I've built my bookshelves, entertainment units, and even my computer workstation from basic pine boards and veneered plywood and have kept them with me for a lifetime. They are 1/3 the weight of particle board Ikea Junk and they have so much Varethane on them they still shine like new. My desk/workbench is strong enough to rebuild a Harley motorcycle on it. :D

For a stand I'd suggest building something like a tall, narrow, parson's bench type of thing that would stand neatly against a wall.

Here's a few suggestions I found on the web.

295723-438x.jpg

il_340x270.3056331032_5xcu.jpg

All this, is assuming you don't plan to go out gigging.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you Dave.
That's actually for new stand.
I would suspect the quality at that price.
Right on Gary.
Agree 100% about particle board.
In my past life I used to repair and restore boats.
I was able to do the same as you, in that I built my computer workstation from 3/4" marine ply and mahogany.
That was in the era of crt monitors so it needed substance.
Unfortunately I only have a couple of sticks left, as a result of my last move.
Given time I could probably do that parsons bench justice.
I most likely will have to go with something like that last vid.
With the cost of lumber being what it is, I'll probably use spruce or pine.
I've always had a fondness for cedar. But cedar is a bit light and tends to split.
Gigging...Lol. I can barely play twinkle twinkle little star.

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles.
I did check and there they are.
They use a metal angle which is screwed to the stand sides, and in turn lines up with the keyboard holes.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Home Depot will probably have oak veneered plywood, and it would probably cost about $150-$200 for a half inch sheet these days, but you could build that bench with half a sheet.

Also, check if there are any specialty lumber yards in your area. There may be some prize sheets of tropical hardwood veneers available for about the same price.

For the edging just fill in the cracks with plastic wood and paint the edges with black Varethane plastic paint.

That's how I did my wall entertainment units and they turned out pretty as a picture.

And plywood won't warp.

Spruce and cedar are way too soft to work with.

Regardless, you should end up with something you will be proud to display in your home and will last a lifetime.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary:
$59.99 actually.
A definite possibility.
Promised my daughter to work on another project. So it would save some chaffed feeling.
The local big box stores have mostly crap.
They did have some birch veneered ply in 2'x4' panels. The surface veneers are paper thin.
I did find a lumber yard that's not too far away. Left a message for them to call. Closed Friday's.
The craftsman/hobbyist that resides in my head, probably wants the diy route.
In the mean time, I do have a stand that I can repurpose. For the time being.
Thanks again for your help and hanging out with me.
Tony...

Ask a Question