Do Chimps Have Rhythm???

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I was blasting some R&B this afternoon and drumming along on my belly when I asked myself this question.

Thanks to the almighty Googly Machine I found my answer 2 minutes later! :D

Here is the article that proves that music creation and appreciation and rhythm is hardwired into our DNA. With due apologies to Creationists and without further ado, here' is the article. ;)

Strictly chimps dancing: Apes like to move to music, researchers find

They clap, tap feet and sway along when piano tunes played

Cha-cha-ing chimps have a sense of rhythm and like to dance to music, new research suggests.

Primates clapped hands, tapped feet and swayed along when played bursts of piano as part of a study by scientists in Japan.

Until now, dancing has been considered an almost uniquely human trait.

But all seven chimpanzees being monitored boogied along as they were exposed to the tunes – a finding that could help shed light on how our own prehistoric ancestors came to enjoy moving to melodies.

The study – carried out by scientists at Kyoto University – exposed the apes to six two-minute piano compositions for six days.

Although none had been taught to groove and received no rewards for doing so, they still broke out into spontaneous movement when the tunes started.

“Chimpanzees dance to some extent in the same way as humans,” lead researcher Dr Yuko Hattori said.

Males were the most likely to respond and were both more vocal and more mobile for longer durations compared with their female counterparts.

...snip...

Hopefully this will explain the ugly rumors we've all heard about drummers :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question