Do I need VST instruments if I got a Yamaha arranger keyboard?

Reaction score
Dear all,

Do I still need VST instruments if I got a Yamaha arranger keyboard like the PSR-S900 or the expensive Tyros 2?

Let me describe my situation. I write my songs and use the auto-accompaniment in a keyboard to have a backing track. This arrangement is recorded as a Midi file, which is imported to my PC so that I can enhance the quality by using the VST instruments.

However, if I got a better Yamaha keyboard like the PSR-S900 (discontinued), will the sound be so good that I don't need the VST anymore?

Thank you for your kind advice.

Reaction score
That really depends on the quality of the VST which you use. PSR900 has quite good internal sounds so you could consider just recording audio directly out of the PSR and not use midi files.

Reaction score
I don't know whether this will help or hinder but you can hear some untouched strings on my less expensive "Tyros 1" on the YouTube video below
The piece was recorded directly onto the Tyros with 3 string layers. When done it was recorded from the Audio Out sockets of the Tyros 1 into a Yamaha Audiogram 6 which is just a mixer with usb output. That get s fed onto my little Acer Aspire 1 and recorded through Audacity and saved to mp3
Anyway I hope it helps
Barry

Ask a Question