Do people steer clear of used keyboards ?

Reaction score
My Korg Kross 2 88 has been up for sale for almost three weeks now. I've posted detailed pictures of this board, which is in absolute mint condition. My asking price is around 60% of the price of a new one.
And still, not one tiny bit of interest for it, not even people e-mailing of phoning to ask for more information, or to negotiate the price.

Either it's not all that good a keyboard, or people tend to steer clear of used keyboards... or maybe I'm just impatient.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Give it some time, as it can be tricky to match up the timing of when you want to sell a keyboard with when someone decides they want to look for one. If you're lucky, you'll post your for-sale notice right about the same time as someone decides to look for a keyboard, or you'll start looking for a keyboard right about the same time as someone decides to sell theirs. But it doesn't always happen that way.

If you're really impatient, you might consider selling it to a store, so they can try to sell it. You might not get as much for it that way as if you were to sell it yourself, because the store will want to mark it up a bit from what they paid you so they can make a profit, hence they might not want to offer you as much for it as it's actually worth. But the advantage is that it will be their burden to sell, not yours.

Reaction score
I know I'll have to be patient. Not an easy task for me, mind you, but I'll give it a go :)
It's not that I desparately need the money, it's just that it's more or less 'in the way' and I'd like to sell is as soon as possible...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There are certain times of year when keyboards sell either more or less easily. It also depends if you are selling on Ebay or Craigslist. ie. Shipping costs can be prohibitive even if it is a good deal.

Right now people are waiting for Winter NAMM 2020 to see what's new coming out as well.

Also, people are waiting for the post xmas sales. Why buy a used keyboard for 60% pf the price wen you can buy a clearout or demo unit with a warranty for 70% or 80% of the price.

Warranties are usually not transferrable. Read the fine print.

Also, you can move gear a little more quickly if you open yourself up to trades.

Lastly, in my experience, using craigslist it usually takes anywhere between 6 and 8 weeks before you find the right buyer. ie. Someone who is looking for your particular make and model and willing to pay a fair price.

I wouldn't start to worry unless it's been on the market for more than two months.

In that case, I'd pull the ad and repost it fresh so it climbs to the top again.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Craigslist etc. isn't known over here in Belgium. I've posted on dedicated sites that offer all kinds of second-hand goods ; there don't seem to be any dedicated sites for musical instruments.
I'm going to post my ad on Facebook market place tonight, and will try eBay as well. In any case, I'm not shipping anything to anywhere. The person buying my board (and accessories) will have to come and pick it up and pay cash. I've always done it this way when selling stuff, whatever it was.
Besides, Belgium is so small, you can drive across the entire country in less than 3 hours...

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually Craigslist has listings all over the EU and the UK and it's worthwhile posting on there simply because there are so few listings in your area. Not only is Belgium small, but France and Netherlands and Denmark and Northern Germany are right next door so it's a bigger local market than you think.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Suit yourself. It costs nothing to use and if you think it's better to to put a note up on the bulletin board of the Piggly Wiggly that's up to you. :p

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, here's a sample of the listings available just in the city of Toronto alone.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Bad time of year to sell.

As Gary writes many, including me, are waiting for NAMM in January before considering buying.

Craigs List is useless here in the UK. Populated with everything cheap and nasty and only one keyboard within 100 miles and that I would not touch it except wearing a full decontamination suit (moth eaten old Yamaha).

Better chance of selling on eBay, Fb Marketplace or via a trade in.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I am a member of ebay and always get notified when new ads for KB's are posted. I "watch" some with sincere interest and find the seller often gets a quick sale.
Ebay should work for you. Be flexible with your terms and perhaps put it up for auction for 10 days with a slightly lower price to encourage bidders. Start your auction on a friday for 10 days which will take in two weekends. Weekends get the most views and watchers.
Good Luck.

Reaction score
It is Christmas season, so I'd say the timing isn't good for a used musical instrument. I don't think that used quality keyboards are selling very well in my regions of the US. The live performance band music business here has not exactly been booming the past few years. I hope your area has a stronger market. Don

Reaction score
I bought, refurbished and re-sold a lot of guitars and guitar gear on eBay.

I always put a minimum price or a reserve on kit.

I generally use 7 days and have a start time about 20:30 so that people are probably home from work and are free to big at the last gasp and I never end on a Friday night since it is more likely the potential buyers are already in the Bar at the start of a night out.

Best of all is to sell a few small items, then nothing, eBay will then offer low cost listings or sell for a £1, but you have to be careful with these as they are time limited.

You need History selling on eBay to give buyers confidence.

I have even sold two motorcycles and a car on eBay.

Ask a Question