Does age matter?/ Late starters

Reaction score
Hey everyone...

I just would like to ask if there is anyone in this group who started learning to play at my age, so 20 years old.
I own couple of synths and drum machines, I would love to work on industrial/ebm/aggrotech/ dark electronic, but i feel like its too late for me. I am learning since 3 years now and I have made zero progress. I feel like giving up now. Full time job takes away most of my day, I have so little time to work on my music.
Is there anyone here who is in similar situation?

Please, dont reply with "There are lots of musicians who started late", if You can't name at least one of them.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Myself for one. I started teaching myself 20 years ago in my 40's.

I might have made quicker progress with a tutor but I just kept hammering at the keys and picking stuff up by ear over the decades and now can play a passable tune in a pinch.

Without a tutor you learn and grow in phases, every now and then hitting a wall.

When that happens, just put it aside for a few months until you feel ready to try again.

Or, if you go the tutor route, just set aside an hour three times a week to study theory and practice according to your schedule.

Like anything else worth doing it takes time to develop a comfortable style on the keyboards.

Most of my stuff I learned practicing old 80's techno pop on CDs while playing along to groups like Simple Minds, Shriekback, The Cure, Blancmange and Kraftwerk and Devo.

It's a learned skill and while you may never become the next Keith Emerson you either play for the sheer enjoyment of the sound or else give it up and take up gardening instead.

But keep at it and someday you will begin to have some pride in the talent you never realized you possess.

Click on a few tunes in my signature and tell me yourself if I've been wasting my time or not.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
May l jump here and say, its been over 35 years since l last had a keyboard, and over 20 years before l started to play the guitar, this all came about because l had a stroke and lost a hell a lot of memory. now it feels like starting all over some things take time to sink in the old brain of mine but just stick at just a little each day is all you need. hope that has helped
kind regards
allan

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
My story is similar to Happyrat's
Started to play from scratch at 55 . . ten years ago. I knew nothing about music!
Learn't everything from books. I can belt out some cool tunes now! :)
So dedicate some time to your music even if just half hour a day. Soon you will be back into the swing!
I wish I was as young as you when I started!
Good luck with it. Any probs . . just ask here. We are all learning still from everyone's experiences.
cheers
Ray:)

Reaction score
It's never too late! Believe in yourself! Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings - 46
years, Peaches - 32 years, Fitz and the Tantrums - 38 years...

Reaction score
I started playing piano when I was 10 years old. Played in a band when I was 15 and quit when I was 20, and started working for a living. When I was 28 I got tied up in a 480v circuit and severely burned my right hand. After several surgeries, having bone reconstruction and tendons reattached as well as skin grafts, I was able to use my hand. The problem was it wouldn't work well for playing keyboards, so I got frustrated and sold all my equipment. 10 years later I felt I was ready to try again, went out and bought a new Roland keyboard and started learning again. Still the hand wouldn't do what I wanted and quit once again. 30 years later I have retired and had some free time and the urge to play again. So I purchased a new Korg Pa600. I have kept at it for a few years now and have gotten much better, can't play the lead to Light my Fire like I used to when I was a kid, but I can play the slower songs and do quite well. Figure I will keep getting better, just have to keep working on it. Best of luck, we all do it for the love of music.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Loved your story KorgGuy. Albeit a little sad and heartbreaking for you. However, glad you are getting back on track even so decades later.
Regarding "light my fire" The sequence of 6 chord changes within just 3 bars of the intro makes it very tricky to play. Ray Manzarak was a genius in writing this!
So, I say well done in playing that tune KorgGuy. It's not easy.
Best wishes for your future progress and as you say . .
we all do it for the love of music.
. . agreed! Love music, love life!
Ray

The Y_man

Reaction score
I started playing piano when I was 10 years old. Played in a band when I was 15 and quit when I was 20, and started working for a living. When I was 28 I got tied up in a 480v circuit and severely burned my right hand. After several surgeries, having bone reconstruction and tendons reattached as well as skin grafts, I was able to use my hand. The problem was it wouldn't work well for playing keyboards, so I got frustrated and sold all my equipment. 10 years later I felt I was ready to try again, went out and bought a new Roland keyboard and started learning again. Still the hand wouldn't do what I wanted and quit once again. 30 years later I have retired and had some free time and the urge to play again. So I purchased a new Korg Pa600. I have kept at it for a few years now and have gotten much better, can't play the lead to Light my Fire like I used to when I was a kid, but I can play the slower songs and do quite well. Figure I will keep getting better, just have to keep working on it. Best of luck, we all do it for the love of music.

Wow.... incredible story.

I wonder if something tactile like the seaboard might be something for you?
https://www.keyboardforums.com/thre...-jazz-tune-performed-on-seaboard-video.28596/

The Y-man

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
btw . .
Just a little treat for anyone who cares . .
Play these chords in this order and see what you get.

G. D. F. Bb Eb Ab. . . A

Recognise it?

Ray

Reaction score
Newbie. Joined today.

20 is not "too old" to start ANYTHING, let alone playing an instrument!

Consider that SO many factors influence whether a particular individual receives the opportunity or encouragement to participate in ANY of the arts!

In many places, it is unfortunately an astronomical privilege to be able to focus on anything beyond daily survival. How many great players, painters, actors or dancers have gone unfullfilled -and undiscovered- solely due to the circumstances of their birth.

This includes the many restrictions found throughout fundamentalist religions. Example: no "Nutcracker" shall ever be 'trouped' by a 7th-day adventist; they prohibit dancing. I'm not singling them out, only launching a LONG list of religions which restrict or prohibit a particular artform.

But all other obstacles to creativity pale when set against the sinister forces of War and Poverty.

The upside is that True Artists usually exhibit an irrepressible compulsion to rise above the rubble.
The shells quiet, the dust settles, and then a voice is heard pleading a song or incantation to temporarily soothe the suffering.

So, you're 20 and want -nay, NEED- to start playing keys?
Do it.

Suerte!

Ask a Question