Does music make your skin tingle?

Does music make your skin tingle / give you goosebumps?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
I just stumbled across this and thought it was interesting - according to a study from 2016, there are differences in brain connectivity for people who experience goosebumps when listening to music compared with those who don't.

The brains of people who felt the chills had more nerve fibres running from the auditory cortex, needed for basic hearing ability, to two other regions, namely the anterior insular cortex, involved in processing feelings, and the medial prefrontal cortex, which is thought to monitor emotions and assign values to them...
...“We think that the connectivity between the auditory cortex and these other regions is allowing music to have that profound emotional response in these people,” he added. “It’s very hard to know whether or not this is learned over time, or whether these people naturally had more fibres. All we can say is there are differences that might explain the behaviour we see.”

Source: Breakthrough in understanding the chills and thrills of musical rapture
Link to study: Brain connectivity reflects human aesthetic responses to music

I thought it would be interesting to see how many people experience this here; are you one of them? I thought this was something that everyone experienced to be honest! What kind of music provokes the strongest reaction for you? For me it's classical music, particularly opera.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It USED to make me tingle. Way back when I was a wee bairn. I guess I outgrew it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Concierto de Aranjuez

Yep, it does it every time.

Karen Carpenter's voice, still get shivers just thinking about how wonderful her voice was.

Polar opposite, same effect, Louis Armstrong singing What a Wonderful World.

Elkie Brooks, especially Lilac Wine, she can sing the Telephone Directory with the same effect on me. Which reminds me we shall have to hunt out her on Tour.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
When it comes to music, all my emotions work overtime.
Yes! I get tingles. The lyrics of some songs can often move me. The senses work overtime with feelings of elation or sadness (whatever). I can't say the words give me a tingle however. But the voice itself can! Especially Haley Reinhart;).

Music itself with or without vocals does indeed give me tingles! I get shivers down my spine often listening to certain music. There is a tune I have somewhere in my collection (can't think of the name) from a movie and I will find it later. It is so scary it freaks me out. Especially if I play it in the dark. It is similar to the psycho shower scene. That puts shivers down my spine.

One song played at the Las Vegas legends concert last week in Melbourne really gave me the tingles. Rod Stewart's Rhythm of the Heart. Man that was good. I could feel the music passing through my body. Was out of this world.
Reminds me of Mull of Kintyre. Those bagpipes move me everytime.

The Grand Pipe Organ at the Melbourne town hall has the most awesome sound. The bass sound vibrates the seats and sends me into a state of euphoria. On the other end or the scale, some of Ian Anderson's flute sounds does it to me too.

All kinds of music can give me shivers. It is mainly the combination of sounds. The intro vocal on the Immigrant Song by Zep! Wow . . AAHHHH, AAHHHHH . . that's Robert Plant singing. Also from the same album one of my all time fav songs always gives me tingles "Since I've Been Loving You"

The very first time in my life that music sent tingles through me was when I played ELP's "Lucky Man" on my new sound system 3 way Hokatone 10" Woofer 40 RMS per channel (early 70's) Wow! Still today Wow!

Ray . . finished ranting now.

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
A long time ago popular music moved me in that way with, it seemed, almost everything.
Less so these days.:(
A few special renderings e.g. of Georgia on my Mind or Sweet Sue (ah the sweet loves of youth!) or quite a few Nat king Cole songs like Unfogettable, When I Fall in Love, The Very thought of You, Smile and, most especially, Stardust.

But most of this I remember my parents playing way back in the fifties, along with music from the dance bands that played during the war in London. My father worked in the War Office.
Nat was an outstanding Jazz pianist too.

Here's a performance of his:eek:_O

Incredibly "laid back". ;)

Nature Boy is another favourite.

As Biggles has said, many of Karen Carpenter's renderings could have that effect upon me.

Last night I went to a live screening of the "Queen of Spades" by Tchaikovsky, from the Royal Opera House, and experienced goosebumps for much of the evening.o_O

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score

This tune is one I was alluding to in my previous post.
Musically brilliant and in later parts scary! (Around 3.00 onwards). You need loudness and a strong BASS to feel the fear!

Ray

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Agreed he does a sweet arragement of those two tunes Col. But no shivers!
A nice one for you to try out on your new uke!
That has been played to death on Melbourne radio for the past couple of years. Need a break from it now.
Ray

Ask a Question