Does the PK-5 do GarageBand?

Reaction score
Hi folks!
I’m a new forum member and new owners a Roland PK-5. The Moog Minitaur I plan on pairing it with is ordered, but in the meantime I’m wondering if anyone has insight in getting the pedal to read a GarageBand sound library (OS 10.13)?

thanks. Have a great day!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
When you say "OS 10.13" I take it you mean macOS High Sierra-- in other words, you're running GarageBand on a Mac rather than an iPad, correct?

How are you connecting the PK-5 to the Mac? Have you tested the connection with some sort of MIDI monitor to verify that the PK-5 is sending its MIDI data okay and that the Mac is receiving it okay?

Are you wanting to use GarageBand to record virtual instruments that you control with the PK-5, or to play those virtual instruments live? It's been a while since I've dabbled with GarageBand, but I thought it was designed more for recording than for playing virtual instruments live, so if your goal is to play live then you might want to switch to MainStage instead.

Reaction score
Welcome

OS 10.13 is not current, is there any reason why you are not running 10.15 Catalina?

Using Main Stage is the way to go for control, within MS you tell it what patch to use then trigger said patch via an input device

As for the PK5 there can be some issues setting up Roland kit to work on a Mac.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
OS 10.13 is not current, is there any reason why you are not running 10.15 Catalina?

I think 10.13 was the last version which still allowed 32-bit applications, so some users have postponed updating their OS beyond 10.13 until they've either replaced or updated their favorite applications. I don't know if that's why the OP is still on 10.13, but it's definitely a factor for some people.

Reaction score
That is what I am seeking of the Op, there may be compatibility issues if the latest OS is not installed.

Apple's own Apps like Garage Band cannot be updated unless the latest OS is installed.

64 bit was more of a problem on iPads when users updated only to find a shedload of their 32 bit Apps did not function.

Ask a Question