Does this sound right?? tyros 5 76

Reaction score
Hi guys bought a used tyros 5 from a dealer recently. I was playing Edelweiss and then suddenly the notes sounded pretty much the same.

The guys who sold it me say...
You are playing with the Harmony/Echo button on and an unusual mix of volumes between your R1, R2, R3 voices. This is why it sounds like the three notes are the same. If you were to set the volume of each to 100 you would hear the R1 note playing as usual and the R2 and R3 playing the harmony (which in this case is actually the same note). Again this isn't a fault, it's just the way you've set up the keyboard in this instance.

Being a novice I don't know if they're giving me the run-around?

Thanks for any help!
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 205

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It could well be, although I couldn't see in the video whether you had the Harmony turned on. You could always use the "factory reset" procedure (or "clear backup," whatever the manual calls it) to clear all of the keyboard's settings and return them to their default values. That usually clears up any weird behavior that's being caused by settings that have been modified.

Reaction score
Hi, Michael, that's an idea. Might lose everything though if I do that. I can't really understand why the settings I had would still make it sound like that. where the notes are indistinguishable. and as I say if I can remember it was ok at first?
Cheers

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I thought I could tell some difference in the notes. To me, they sounded a bit like chords (which does suggest that the Harmony function was enabled), and some of the notes in the chords sounded the same or similar but at least one note of the chord (probably the one for the key you were playing) sounded different.

Note that Yamaha songs and styles can have OTS or One Touch Setting voices included with them, which means that if you happened to press one of the buttons that activated a One Touch Setting then some of the keyboard's settings might change all of a sudden from what they were before you'd pressed that button. I'm not saying that this is what happened, but it's one possible explanation.

Reaction score
Caveat: I know nothing about arrangers, but it might pay you to fiddle with the harmony/echo settings like the chap in this clip.

My other thoughts are:

1. You're using an organ voice. I wonder if the harmonics in the voice are interacting with the "harmony" feature in a strange way to create that sequence where A, B and C sound pretty much the same.

2. You're not playing what's written in the sheet music you provided. Does it sound any better if you play the chord in the left hand and what's actually written in the right hand?

Reaction score
If without the Harmony on when you play each note all is OK then it is the Harmony setting that is at fault.

Paul (Cowboy) has hit the nail on the head with the video he posted.

If you follow the video and change the Harmony preset as the guy shows then that should solve the issue. Do come back and let us know how you went on.

BTW a harmony is playing a single note and then other complementary notes are sounded with it, a chord is a harmony, in major form Root 3rd and 5th and a two note harmony would typically be Root and 3rd.

Reaction score
Thanks guys as I say I think it was ok at first then all of a sudden it sounded horrible like this.
But when I came to it the next day after switching it off overnight the fault was gone.

The thing is I've not been very happy with it for other reasons. But I just thought I'd run this by you to see if you could throw any light on it. Obviously the guys I had it off don't want to exchange it for another one. I don't understand why though? Customer satisfaction and all that. I couldn't see it being a big problem for them.

I like the idea of doing a factory reset as this will be like doing a reboot on a computer/smartphone/tablet I suppose. After all the tyros is a computer at the end of the day. And when you reboot your device it usually sorts it. lol.

Thanks
Steve

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, doing the backup clear can do wonders to fix issues. I bought a PSR-EW400 at a bargain price, and when I turned it on for the first time there was a problem with one of the features-- I can't remember what it was, but it upset me. But just to be sure, I did a backup clear as well as a flash clear, and it fixed the problem! I'm not sure if it was a returned item or a display model-- hence the incredible bargain price-- but someone before me had probably been fooling around with it and had changed something to a crazy setting.

Ask a Question