Don't buy Kurzweil

Reaction score
Don't buy Kurzweil products. As a long time user of their equipment, I've had multiple electronic failures in the past two years and am currently involved in a battle with the company. They refuse to adequately support their products which show a significant shortfall in quality and reliability. Sweetwater has cut back their supply of Kurzweil due to these problems and now only sells them as a special order product rather than stocking them. They have cost me serious money in repairs and loss of productivity. I think they may be heading into bankruptcy.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Kurzweil has always been a smaller player in the synth game and they've almost gone under a few times. However, they are currently owned by Young Chang of Korea and the technology they put in their keyboards has still remained remarkably cutting edge despite their smaller budget.

I've owned a PC3K8 for 3 years now and I am very satisfied with it. It hasn't given me a lick of trouble in that time and its sounds and features have held up very well.

I'll be the first to admit that I hate the fact that they outsourced their editors to Soundtower but there is an active and almost fanatic community of supporters over at http://forums.godlike.com.au/ and http://www.ksetlist.com/

And while there is a known issue with backlights failing on displays there are new displays available from third parties on Ebay using LED backlights.

Furthermore, as far as parts availability goes, Kurzweil is far better at supplying parts and support for discontinued machines than Yamaha or Korg ever were.

Realistically speaking, going by what I hear in the community, Kurzweils are no more prone to failure than any other brand of keyboard and Jean at tech support actually encourages people to open up their machines for minor repairs rather than reading from a script that tells you you have to send it back to the factory to change a lousy battery :p

I'm sorry if you've had troubles with your machines, but if you are gigging around the country with baggage handlers and roadies abusing your equipment you're going to end up paying for service calls regardless of what brand you are playing.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I have a PC3K8 + Core64: It's a fantastic keyboard, for a low price...No problem with it, never... But i play it at home, only, and i take care of it :rolleyes:

Ask a Question