Downhearted

Reaction score
The COVID situation has made a few of us touring musicians a little downhearted, so to cheer ourselves up I grabbed a few of my friends and we put this together.

For those not in the know - this is a cover of a very popular song in my country by a wonderful band from the late 70’s to mid 80’s, “Australian Crawl”.

Hope you enjoy our version!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
As usual the keyboard player gets about 12 seconds of camera time :)P) but the tune is fantastic Paul.

You can rest assured that you and the rest of your bandmates have not lost your chops :)

Gary ;)

3dc

Reaction score
This is just great. Went trough the video several times. :)

I noticed you have Korg Krome 88. How do you like it? Did you have any issues with it?
I am thinking of buying Korg Krome-88 EX. Would you recommend it for wannabe keyboardist like me? Its a bit cheaper then MODX6 but it is a 88 keys workstation? What do you say?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
SUPERB!
A heaps better version than that mumbling James Reyne . . LOL.
Matt nailed it again. As did you other blokes.
Is that line up "Finger Bun"?

My wife is not a Pink Floyd fan but loves Aussie rock. I played this tune for her. She loves it.

R

Last edited:
Reaction score
As usual the keyboard player gets about 12 seconds of camera time :)P) but the tune is fantastic Paul.

You can rest assured that you and the rest of your bandmates have not lost your chops :)

Gary ;)
Haha thank you Gary. I blame the video director and will talk sternly to him in the mirror when I'm shaving.

Appreciate you kind words - this keeps us sane when we're not gigging.

Reaction score
This is just great. Went trough the video several times. :)

I noticed you have Korg Krome 88. How do you like it? Did you have any issues with it?
I am thinking of buying Korg Krome-88 EX. Would you recommend it for wannabe keyboardist like me? Its a bit cheaper then MODX6 but it is a 88 keys workstation? What do you say?
Thank you my friend. Glad you enjoyed it.

You're close, it's a Krome 61.

I love the Krome. I've owned mine since 2013 and have had ZERO issues with it apart from a power supply dying on me, but I always carry a spare, which I recommend for all mission-critical keyboards that have an external power supply.

I don't really use a lot of the advanced workstation features so I won't comment on those. Mine is a live workhorse.

I'm going to be really honest with you about where I see the pros and cons of the Krome.

Pros:

- Sounds fantastic for a mid-tier keyboard. I use mine live at every gig and I'm always happy with the sound. I have very occasionally had punters come up to me and ask me about it and how I can get so many sounds out of one machine. One FB troll even accused me of playing 90% backing tracks! For the record I play 100% live, so I kind of took that as a compliment even though he was being mean.

- Super easy to use once you learn the Korg way of doing things. The giant touch screen with big font is really helpful too. I actually prefer it to the Kronos touch screen because I'm old and my eyes are bad. For a live player it's great because if you set things up correctly you can fly between patch changes with a single finger press.

- Lightweight

- Tough. I've had an LX bar fall on mine. Those things are massive and heavy. It punctured the touch screen but I was still able to gig using the buttons. Didn't impact the keyboard's performance. I replaced the screen and despite a few scars it's still going strong. I've played it in heat, dust, cold and a tiny bit of rain. I would estimate it's travelled over 100,000 km by road and air. The thing just won't die.

- Versatile. With enough thought and pre-planning I can pretty much make it do whatever I want. I sometimes do whole gigs with just this little keybaord.

Cons:

- The 61 that I use has a difficult to love action. It's quite tricky to play accurately, particularly if you're using a lot of the black keys. Doable but takes a bit of getting used to. I know you're interested in the 88. My opinion on the Krome's 88-key action is it's somewhat sluggish and doesn't feel that much like a real piano. It's not as good as Korg's RH3 action which they put in the Kronos, Grandstage, SV-1 and Nautlius. I would suggest trying it yourself and seeing if you like it.

- I know many of the first run of Kromes had an issue where certain samples, notably the pianos, would cut off abruptly when sustained. Mine has never had this issue but you can Google it and see commentary on it everywhere. I assume they've fixed this for the EX?

- The organ sounds are a bit of an Achilles' Heel. This being said, I do organ with mine live all the time - sometimes in quite high-end shows. But if I'm honest the organ does not compare well with most of its competitors.

Ultimately I recommend playing with one before you buy if you're able to. But on balance I reckon they're great keyboards.

Last edited:
Reaction score
SUPERB!
A heaps better version than that mumbling James Reyne . . LOL.
Matt nailed it again. As did you other blokes.
Is that line up "Finger Bun"?

My wife is not a Pink Floyd fan but loves Aussie rock. I played this tune for her. She loves it.

R
Cheers Ray,

Thank you for the kind comments and positive feedback. James Reyne is a wonderful vocalist but he certainly has an idiosyncratic way of articulating his vowel sounds. Matt and Jase did this much more "straight" than the original.

This "band" is a mashup of guys from the three bands I play in. Mainly EOPF, but we also have Brad the bassist from Finger Bun. Tony who is on acoustic guitar in this clip is the bassist for EOPF and also my Faith No More tribute The Real Thing. Greg the sax player gigs with EOPF when we're in Adelaide but when we travel interstate we use different guys. I just said "hey, do you wanna do this thing I'm putting together", and they all said yes.

I'm sorry to hear that your wife isn't perfect but I'm pleased that she loved the tune. Please pass on my thanks.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Paul, thanks ever so much for that straight up and honest review of the Krome.

To be honest, I believe the Nautilus is actually intended as a successor to the Krome before they release a Kronos successor.

If half the stuff you mentioned about build quality is true, then I have far fewer worries once I receive the one I ordered this month.

I can't see Korg maintaining 3 or 4 levels of workstations, but it's nice to see they're making a comeback. The Nautilus, The Fantom 8, The MODX, The Kurz PC4, etc... it's been an interesting past two years for workstation releases.

What are you looking at for a replacement when "Ole Mabel" bites the dust? ;) :cool:

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Paul, thanks ever so much for that straight up and honest review of the Krome.

To be honest, I believe the Nautilus is actually intended as a successor to the Krome before they release a Kronos successor.

If half the stuff you mentioned about build quality is true, then I have far fewer worries once I receive the one I ordered this month.

I can't see Korg maintaining 3 or 4 levels of workstations, but it's nice to see they're making a comeback. The Nautilus, The Fantom 8, The MODX, The Kurz PC4, etc... it's been an interesting past two years for workstation releases.

What are you looking at for a replacement when "Ole Mabel" bites the dust? ;) :cool:

Gary ;)
If it died tomorrow mate I’d probably get a Nautilus. I think you and I are on the same page I think it’s a natural successor.

Obviously I can only speak from my own experience but I own three Korgs and the things are as tough as teak. To be fair I do look after my keyboards well but the amount of road time they’ve done - things happen despite one’s best intentions. None of them will win a beauty contest.
Particularly the poor old Krome it’s copped a pounding.

It would take A LOT to shift me away from Korg as a gigging keyboard brand - a big part of that is build quality.

*disclaimer - I used to be a Korg endorsee but that deal died with COVID and I’ve always been honest with my opionions on keyboards regardless of any commercial arrangement.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhsmith451

Latest Threads