Downloading songs

Reaction score
Hi I have a psr S 500 I got my self a usb song stick when I put it in my keyboard the songs plays play ok the thing is I carnt work out how to play along with the songs .in the same ways as the songs on the keyboard? can any one help.. Thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think you should be able to play the keyboard while a song is playing back by using the keyboard's voices (Right1, Right2, and Left, or whatever that model calls them-- on mine they're called Main, Dual, and Split). It should just be a matter of playing the keyboard.

So I'm wondering if there's more to your question-- for instance, are you trying to mute one or more channels of the songs so you can play those parts yourself, or something like that? Can you give a more precise explanation of what you're trying to accomplish?

Reaction score
I think you should be able to play the keyboard while a song is playing back by using the keyboard's voices (Right1, Right2, and Left, or whatever that model calls them-- on mine they're called Main, Dual, and Split). It should just be a matter of playing the keyboard.

So I'm wondering if there's more to your question-- for instance, are you trying to mute one or more channels of the songs so you can play those parts yourself, or something like that? Can you give a more precise explanation of what you're trying to accomplish?
Hi yes I am trying to mute one or more channels so I can play that part my self

Reaction score
Hi yes I am trying to mute one or more channels so I can play that part, I bought a pro style usb plays songs ok but I carnt work out how to mute the parts I wont to play. regards ivan

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Okay, let me check the manual to see what functions are available.

Well, the information on pages 32 and 66 indicates that you can mute any of the 16 song tracks, as well as the accompaniment track.

Based on what I know about the way the PSR-E models I'm familiar with organize the MIDI data when recording a User Song, I'm thinking that perhaps the term "track" literally refers to "MTrk" chunks, as opposed to the 16 MIDI channels. If that's true, and the song files you're trying to use are in the SMF Type 0 format, you'll need to convert the files to the SMF Type 1 format.

This can be done using many DAWs, as follows: Load the SMF Type 0 MIDI file. Often the 16 channels will appear together as a single MIDI track, although this may vary depending on the DAW. If they do, the DAW may have a function which can "dissolve" the single MIDI track so that each channel's events are moved to their own MIDI tracks. Then re-save the MIDI tracks as a Type 1 MIDI file.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that yourself, you can always use a utility program to do it, such as the one at the following website:

Note that I have no experience with that program (yet), so I can't vouch for it (yet).

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I hope it resolves your problem! Let me know whether it does or doesn't. :)

Ask a Question