Dream pricing

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I've been looking at street prices for some dream keyboards. Are these in line with your experiences? Basically, I'm looking for "Do Not Exceed" prices.

(All prices in US dollars)

Tyros 5 - $4,000
Alessis Andromeda - $2,500
Oberheim Matrix 12 - not happening

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
I'm looking at used prices. If I look at new prices (which only apply to the Tyros 5), it would be considerably more.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's an odd list to begin with and you didn't specify that you were looking for used prices.

Personally I have enough keys in my collection already.

If I do any future purchases I'm more inclined to look at rack modules, to save on both money as well as space.

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
The Matrix 12 and the Andromeda are the pinnacle of polyphonic analog synths. But they're also both long gone from the new market. I'd like one of them, and given what I've found on the used market, the Matrix 12 is pretty much unavailable. Or very expensive. Or both.

The Tyros is an arranger, which I don't have in my arsenal. (Actually, my arsenal is pretty old and needs to be updated.)

Imagine, if you will, a live keyboard stand with a Kronos 88 on the bottom, a Tyros 5 76 in the middle, and an Andromeda on top. That gives me a bit of sonic variety to work with. (It's also visually appealing, with each level being narrower than the level below.)

But it probably requires PowerBall.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Why not a DSI Prophet 12 instead of the Andromeda?

Or for that matter, if Behringer makes good on their hype they're releasing the Deepmind 12 this Fall/Winter which is a 12 voice Analog for about $1000 USD even.

While I love a good analog circuit as much as the next guy I'm really not all that keen on loading up with vintage oscillator and filter drift and 30 year old leaky caps.

As for the Tyros? Aside from the assortment of styles it offers, you can pretty much do anything with your Kronos that the Tyros can do. Basically they're both still ROMplers with internal sequencers.

Add an iPad or a Macbook to the mix and I think you could afford to skip the Tyros entirely.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Imagine, if you will, a live keyboard stand with a Kronos 88 on the bottom, a Tyros 5 76 in the middle, and an Andromeda on top.
Imagine? . . . Yes I can see it.
:eek: What do I do with them? I have enough trouble getting my head around just one mid range kb let alone 3 top of the range ones. Even a powerball win would not take me there.
Dream on . . !

Ask a Question