Drums sound distorted from head phones.

Reaction score
Hi. Recently bought preowned yamaha psr 550. Good instrument except the percussion instruments sound bad from headphones. Although they sound great when played from the instrument speakers.Also when I record a song and import it to Audacity...all the midi instrument sounds play good except the drum part. Tried every thing....no use. Cant figure out wheather the instrument needs to be diagnosed or I am missing a trick.....I am a newbie ....looking for experienced help.......thanks a lot for being out there.

Reaction score
Dear Happyrat1, thank u for ur concern. I own psr 550, the manual link u have provided is of s550. Though I searched in my manual and I did not find anything related to equilaiser settings. Maybe this model no does not have this function. I have installed usb emulator in place of floppy drive which works fine. I occasionally record songs with auto accompaniment and desired settings.....and it sounds great from the instrument. It is just that when I try to imort the same song in my pc...the drum part does not play right...it sounds very very light....I even reseted the instrument by pressing the last key before pressing ON button. .........no change ....sounds great from the speakers....but as soon as I connect head phones the drum part goes scilent ( heard very light in background)......pl help.....thanks again.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I know you said the drums sound okay when played through the keyboard's speakers, but have you tried changing the Accompaniment Volume (page 37) or Part Settings (page 74)?

Other than that, I'm wondering if anything might have happened when the USB was installed in place of the floppy drive. Do you know if everything sounded okay over the headphones before that was done?

If you were able to install the USB yourself, perhaps the service manual would help you diagnose and correct the issue? You can download the service manual from Elektro Tanya:

http://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_psr-550_sm_1.pdf/download.html

http://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_psr-550_sm_2.pdf/download.html

There are two different files, but I don't know what the differences are, so I'd download both versions. Note that when you first navigate to each of the above pages, you'll need to wait patiently for a minute or longer until the "Get Manual" link appears below the picture. You do not want to click on any "Download" button that might appear on the page, as it will actually be part of some advertised product that has nothing to do with the service manual. Instead, click on the "Get Manual" link when it finally appears.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Looking at the owner's manual again, I do see some "EQ" settings mentioned in the DSP Type List on page 133, so that's another thing you could try.

Ask a Question