DS - 61

Reaction score
Originally purchased a Yamaha mx49 and decided as a newer KB player it just wasn't for me. I did pick up a lot of the features, or should say understand them, but I decided 49 keys just wasn't for me. (There were a couple other reasons too)

So with limited space, I decided 61 keys over a longer synth.

I went with the DS-61. It's on order now, 3 local shops who handle Roland did not have it in stock, not sure why. They could order it but, I might as well do that myself and save a bit. (Plus 2 of the shops just tried to push KB's they had instock, and while I do appreciate counter suggestions, I had already by reviews and vids decided what I was after)

Anyway, my concern pre reading the manual, she looks tough to figure out. Just wondering if anyone who runs a DS-61 could chime in and "say it isn't so" , that if I gained understanding on the MX 49 it really won't be allot difference?

Thanks, Joe

Reaction score
I sure hope so, I'm a slow learner, need to watch (like you mention above) and read while doing. I sure I'll get it and have a lot of fun along the way.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I'm loving the Pug Pic on your avatar. My cousins used to own 4 Boston Terriers from the same litter. They've passed away now but they were such adorable and friendly, playful critters :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
That's are little girl Lucy.
My Sister/Brother in-law have a Boston Ter. Lucy loves her, lol. At least the play good together.

Reaction score
Great choice.

I have the DS competitor in the Korg Kross but used the Roland videos that Gary gives the link for to learn some of the intricacies that the Korg skips over, the Roland vids are that good.

Good luck with the learning cycle.

Reaction score
It may be a stupid suggestion, watch the vids and read the manuals.

I watched both the Korg and Roland vigs many, many times before I choose and also read both manuals.

Yet still getting to grips with the Korg was like mastering Klingon.

Reaction score
Not stupid at all, I am sucking in all the info I can get before it's arrives.
And as for Klingon, if you watch Big Bang Theroy long enough, up pick up enough to get you through. LOL.

Reaction score
Ugg, shipped today but, coming FedEx slo mo, arriving Saturday. At least I'll be home when delivered.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Great!

That gives you time to review the videos and reread the manual.

You'll be good to go once it arrives :)

Besides, at least you'll be home on Saturday to receive it and won't have to take a day off to wait for the delivery.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
20180819_052602.jpg
Well my DS in the house... and my wife even lent me her keyboard "stand"

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Seriously though, as hilarious as the picture may be, do not use the ironing board as a keyboard stand. Those suckers collapse if you look at them wrong.

You can pick up a decent quality X Stand for around $30 USD at almost any big box store or music store.

Try and get the double braced type with a positive locking pin mechanism.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha...braced-x-style-keyboard-stand-black/9367162.p

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Double-Braced-Construction-Adjustable-Keyboards/dp/B079M3WBGS/

There are better stands out there but at least these won't break the bank and they'll do until you start feeling the need to expand your kit.

Personally I'm using the Amazon one myself for my DS in the living room.

Keyrig-2018-07.jpg

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
image.jpg

I would avoid an X stand if you could, a Z stand like a Roland KS 18 Z is great (I use one), but if you want at some stage in the future want to add a second tier then a Hercules KS410B would be a good choice.

The benefit of a Z type is if you play seated you do not have the X brace in the way and the stool will slide under the keyboard.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Considering the man is just starting out and has ordered speakers already on top of the DS61 I would think that a half decent X-Stand is all he needs to start out. You can also add a second tier to an X-Stand as there are universal add on kits that add a second tier.

Granted Z stands are more rigid and stable but they cost twice or triple the price.

I own a Z stand myself for my Kurzweil and Studiologic Sledge but only because they are massive keyboards that I wouldn't trust an X-Stand to safely support.

But the DS61 is a featherweight as keyboards go and I say for the time being don't blow any more money than you have to.

With what he saves on the stand he could afford to pick up an M-Audio SP-2 sustain pedal as well.

https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-SP-2-Universal-Electronic-Keyboards/dp/B00063678K/

Then he'd be all set to play the Delta House annual Beer Bash and Lobster Cookout :D

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm currently thinking of getting a 2-tier Z stand to replace my X stand, so I can have 76-key PSR-EW400 on the bottom and my 49-key MX49 BK on the top.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Gary, that is exactly the stand I've been looking at, mainly because of the price. :) I wasn't sure about the fact that the top tier can't be adjusted for width the way some others can, but I think that if I set the width of the overall stand to be just wide enough for the top tier to hold the MX49 BK, the bottom tier should still be wide enough to hold the PSR-EW400 securely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onion

Latest Threads