Dumb question re: CP4 Stage Piano midi connection to DAW

Reaction score
I will probably get laughed at for asking this, but I just purchased the Yamaha CP4 stage piano to replace and old Yamaha DGX piano. The install went famously, everything seems to work great. I use the USB host to my DAW to record midi. The DAW sees the keyboard and it records midi just fine. It drives any virtual sounds I have just fine (great actually). Now here comes the dumb question...

With my old piano when I set up the daw with a midi track I could hear, and it recorded the piano's internal piano sounds and played them back. With the CP4 it records fine but I hear nothing while recording OR playing back. I assume I will have to run the line outs from the CP4 into my interface, but I am not sure why this worked before w/o doing that. Is there a setting that I am missing that would enable the CP4 sounds to go through the USB?

See I told you it was going to be a dumb question
R

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
No, it isn't a dumb question.

I'm not sure how the DAW was able to record the audio from your DGX if you didn't have it connected to the computer with an audio cable, because the USB-MIDI port doesn't transmit audio. You're correct that you need to connect the CP4's audio out to the computer if you want the DAW to record the actual audio.

Ask a Question