DURABILITY

Reaction score
My (PSR 550) is used where there is no AC, & needs annual repair. Are Keyboards all made the same? --- or are some more durable/long lasting/dependable?

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Keyboards I've bought new have tended to be indestructible. I remember bringing my DX-7 through New York City subways on a handcart getting to gigs. (With amps, harp, guitar, etc., all strapped to the cart.) Never had a problem. My PAIA String Ensemble (hand built) also wouldn't die. Used keyboards, on the other hand, may be more "interesting".

On the other hand, my father's PolyMoog seemed to always have problems.

So I'd say it depends on the keyboard. Some are more sensitive than others.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I have been told by a yamaha salesman that only the entry models psr (e) are avail ac/dc. After that the psr (s) and tyros etc.. are too powerful that they are ac only.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Interesting. I live in Florida, and when I saw AC, I thought about air conditioning. Didn't even think about power source.

Limiting yourself to keyboards that work off the grid will be interesting. Good luck with that.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sigh, another ancient thread...

Still here's my two cents worth.

Casio makes multiple keyboards that are capable of battery operation including but not limited to the CTK series, the WK series, The XW series and even the highly acclaimed PX-5S stage piano.

I'm not entirely certain about the new PX-560M or the MZ-X series just released at this winter's NAMM but if they are staying true to their roots then these probably work on batteries as well.

Gary ;)

As for running keyboards in the summer without Air Conditioning? Your mileage WILL vary depending on make and model and just how hellishly hot it becomes in your neighbourhood summertime ;)

Ask a Question