DX7 Novice Questions

Reaction score
I appreciate all advice, so thank you in advance.

First, I'm wondering how to load sounds from my laptop. I have a USB to MIDI device but do I need special software on my PC? I downloaded a digitial version of the first two rom cars for the synths sounds and from what I hear is a great Vox Conti emulation.

Second, I'm searching for some specific sounds I know came from a CS80 but since I know nothing about FM I'm hoping it is somewhere out there. I'm looking for the tone from Springsteens cover of Trapped.

Thank you again. I'm not a keyboard player by default I'm actually a guitar player but in my band I arrange our keyboard sounds and I'm trying to track down some specific sounds for our next CD.

D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd also STRONGLY recommend that you google Yamaha DX7 Sysex and read up on other tutorial pages and download all the available manuals for your keyboard.

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
That was my first serious keyboard for gigging. I had a lot of fun with it, and it was built like a tank.

Bought a book of DX7 patches and entered the parameters by hand. Those were the days.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I found a site that has some cool sounds for 30 bucks that load in through Sysex and after searching the through the organs to see if there was a good farfisa tone (not really) I found all those synth sounds I was searching for. Many of these sounds are amazing, the pads are just what I need for the next album the band wants to do.

Ask a Question