E-Mu xboard...what does it do?

Reaction score
Okay I know it's a Midi controller and it's $99.
  • Includes Proteus X LE Desktop Sound Module with over 1,000 presets
  • Mo'Phatt X (Hip-Hop/Dance), Planet Earth X (World) and Protean Drums X (Drums
It looks way too good to be only $99.
It has a sound module? Does this mean you can play MIDI sounds from another keybd out thru it? Including all that Planet Earth stuff?

Could I hook a MM6 up to it and use all its sounds thru the MM6?

Can you program sounds you want, like portamento?

Newbys want to know.

Reaction score
It has a sound module? Does this mean you can play MIDI sounds from another keybd out thru it? Including all that Planet Earth stuff?

Could I hook a MM6 up to it and use all its sounds thru the MM6?

let me edit that. Hook up the regular keyboard like MM6 to the E-mu xboard, which is a MIDI controller, and it would play whatever keys I pressed on the mm6 but it would apply the MIDI effects thru a 'sound module'?

still trying to figure out what all these gizmos do.:confused:

Reaction score
any midi module can be controlled by another midi instrument and both sound banks utilized

So how would that work, would there be a computer involved? (that would be the Proteus X virtual instrument)? If there is a computer involved, is a MIDI module necessary?

Reaction score
proteus x is a soft synth....so yes, there has to be a computer involved....its nothing more than computer software....if you want to have the software drive your mm6, then you have to the soundcard and connections to hook to a computer via midi

Reaction score
proteus x is a soft synth....so yes, there has to be a computer involved....its nothing more than computer software....if you want to have the software drive your mm6, then you have to the soundcard and connections to hook to a computer via midi

So if you have a MIDI-compatible keyboard, Cubase and some VSt's, you don't a "Midi controller" gadget?

So what is the use of one of these controllers? Is it just if you can't afford/don't need a real keyboard? Can it be used without a computer? Does it have internal "MIdi software" so you can connect a keyboard to it and use it if you don't have a computer (as in live situations)?

Still trying to figure out what all these gadgets are:eek:

Reaction score
yes maam....without getting real technical...if you have a midi keyboard, cubase and some vst's having proetus would be like adding some more vst's

you can check out more about it here

http://www.etcetera.co.uk/products/EMU150.shtml

this paticular software emulates some "popular" synth sounds from some synths they dont make anymore

here is the X board http://www.etcetera.co.uk/products/EMU300.shtml

Keyplayer

So does the E-Mu Xbox itself "play back" MIDI sounds? Or is your computer soundcard the only thing that can do that?

And does it apply 'effects' like a VST instrument panel?

Is it a hardware version of a VST? Does it do the same thing a software synth does, only easier to use than those annoying on-screen sliders and knobs?

Reaction score
you hook the xboard to the computer which gives you access to the preteus software on the computer and you use the 25 keys on the xboard to play sounds from the preteus software....the only "hardware" of the 2 is the 25 key keyboard

Reaction score
thank you keyplayer for all the good information. I had time to check out the Emu Xboard this morning and it appears to be a midi-controller with both midi and usb, and software/drivers for the computer. Nice keyboard for the money, you could use it as a keybass too, its has some good reviews. If there is a module, it is built in to the keyboard or softsynth via comp, I didn't see a free standing module. When I think of a keyboard midi module it is something like the Yamaha Motif ES rack.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-MOTIF-Es-Rack-Module?sku=701559

Laura sometimes hardware modules are also used to free up CPU on the computer, taking the load off while adding effects, vst etc, there are alot of companies using outboard hardware for this purpose, especially in the recording studios.

Reaction score
Laura sometimes hardware modules are also used to free up CPU on the computer, taking the load off while adding effects, vst etc, there are alot of companies using outboard hardware for this purpose, especially in the recording studios.

Can this outboard hardware be used with a keyboard on its own, like if you take it to a jam or something? Can you suggest some of these units?

The sort of gadget I'm interested in is something like the Nord Micro, apparently you can copy sounds from your computer soft-synths into this unit and then take it somewhere else, hook it up to a keyboard and play with no computer involved.

I assume it must have some kind of soundcard so that it can create the sounds. So it's different from a Midi controller, is that correct?

My interest is in a small module (not a keyboard, just the effects.) Apparently the Nord Micro is no longer being made. It sold for about $300. The technology that replaces it goes for about $999.:(

Reaction score

Ask a Question