E-Z Chopin for self-learner

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm one of these self-teaching almost-newbies (2 years). I have been mostly just figuring out rock songs and practicing arpeggios. I can sort of play 'light my fire' so I guess I'm not a complete Noob anymore. :D

This month I got an Easy Piano Chopin Gold book. I felt I needed the challenge of having to play something difficult and precise instead of just "jammin' around'. Of course reading music is also a challenge for me.

I actually managed to figure out 2 of the songs...what a great feeling of accomplishment!! Of course I make lots of mistakes when I play them. :eek:

I have skipped most of the self-teaching suggestions; I got the Hanon book and I'll practice an exercise for 5 minutes but I just can't see spending any more time than that. My time & endurance are limited and I don't think you can learn all that much from a repetitive exercise because in reality a musician has to learn to play all kinds of varying patterns & riffs, change chords quickly & jump all over the keyboard, not just play one thing over & over. I don't see an exercise for that. Except playing REAL tunes.

I started the Chopin book because I'm sick of boring exercises, but I wonder if it is a good idea. I know that practice is the key to improvement, but if I jump to something that is "above my level", is it possible I'll NEVER "get it" no matter how hard I try? (something like trying calculus before I know arithmetic?)

(I know someone will tell me to get a teacher, but I don't think that's in the cards. )

Ask a Question