E373 chord fault.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I just started back u3a. Covid lockdown lifted.
I am trying to help Alan who just bought a e373 model. He is a raw beginner. Trying to teach him to play chords with ACMP.
We encountered a problem. When playing a G chord, the keyboard actually plays G7.
D chord plays Dm. Many others are wrong as well.
We tried single finger and fingered. Same problem.
We tried factory reset . . No change.
Any clues to fix?
Thanks
Ray

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Does it do that all the time, or only on specific styles?

If I'm not mistaken and understand correctly, Yamaha's Style File Format has settings that allow a style maker to limit the types of chords recognized by a style. It might be possible that a given style is internally programmed to play only certain chords. However, I'm no expert on Yamaha's Style File Format, so I might be mistaken.

Is it one of the built-in preset styles, or is it from an external style file? If it's from a style file, you might be able to use a free utility to examine the settings contained in the style file's CASM section to see how they're set.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks Michael.
It is a brand new keyboard. All built in styles selected get same result.
What is the CASM section?
Will I find it in the functions settings?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
No, you won't find anything in the Function menu related to the CASM section.

The Yamaha user community isn't certain what "CASM" stands for, but it's the 4-character "chunk ID" for the section of a style file which contains the parameters related to the chords and notes that the different sections of the style are programmed to play.

Each style file has its own CASM section, so it's something you would need to look at within the individual style files. I don't know how the preset styles are stored internally, but the PSR-E models don't have a "Style Creator" feature like the PSR-S models do, so there's no way to export the internal styles to see what their settings are.

Have you tried experimenting with the Chord Dictionary feature of the keyboard to see if it's behaving in a similar manner as far as how the chords are being identified?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I think getting into the technical aspects of this, is far too advanced for me and also Alan.
I will be seeing Alan again next Thursday. We could have a play around with the Chord Dictionary feature, but I think we will be shooting in the dark. And we will stuff it up! May as well squeeze black heads off a gorilla!
The problem exists with all the style selected. So I think there is a glitch somewhere . . playing around with the settings of each file would be useless, since we don't have a clue what we are doing.

He bought it brand new. Do you think he should go back to the store to get clarification?
Maybe the sales personnel have a similar problem with this model and know a simple repair?

I just thought there may be an easy solution (is why I asked)

Thanks anyway.
R

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I don't know what to suggest as the best option. Speaking with someone from Yamaha or the store might help, as they should at least be able to tell you whether the behavior is normal-- and if it is not normal, then what can be done about it. If the keyboard is still under warranty, they should be able to either fix it or replace it.

Reaction score
You could have him try the press n hold Memory Play whilst powering on.

I have no idea exactlt what it does but another member found it cleared their fault where the standard reset did not.

If all else fails return the keyboard and suggest he buys the E463.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I wish you knew what he did, too! Then we'd know what to tell other people if they have the same issue. :)

Of course, it might be a Trade Secret.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I wish you knew what he did, too! Then we'd know what to tell other people if they have the same issue.
We have gone back into covid lock down again here in Melbourne. I didn't get to see Alan this week. I got his email response asking what was done to his KB. He just said the "fingered" settings were wrong. The adjustment was made from the functions button.
So sorry guys . I failed to get a definitive answer.
Who knows how long we are locked up for once again?
R

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Aha, thanks! That may mean it was a combination of the "Fingering Type" and "Smart Chord Key" settings (see page 53 of the Owner's Manual).

Ask a Question