EK50 voice names/keyboard sets/sounds list

Reaction score
Still getting my head round my new EK50, and I'm now really confused about the voices.

I hadn't noticed until today that whereas keyboard set 002 is Detuned Pf, at one point when I was changing some setting or other, the display showed 002 as being Class.Piano! I have no idea how that happened.

Checking the PDFs on the Korg site, I now see that we have the keyboard sets list and we have the sounds list. How exactly does one relate to the other? How, for example, do I get to select and play any of sounds 1-32 of the "Piano" category in the "Sounds" list?

Sorry if I'm missing something really obvious, but I can't find this explained anywhere in the manual.

Reaction score
It can be a tad confusing.

A sound is just that an individual instrument or a group of instruments that reside in a single storage location, Movie Strings springs to mind as a single sound with multiple instrument voicings.

Now when setting up a Style for a specific song you have the Sounds in Upper 1 Upper 2 and Lower. These are saved as a Keyboard Set, so with a typical Korg you can have four Keyboard Sets assigned, changing via the Keyboard Set buttons.

You can then call up the Keyboard Sets at any time in the future to assign them to a Style as the saved Keyboard Set is already configured with your chosen instrument voiicings.

The above is Pa series based but your EK is similar.

Does this make sense?

Reaction score
It probably will when I've read through it enough times. Meanwhile, say I just want to play Sound 002 Class Piano. How do I do that starting from the default keyboard set 001 which is GrandPiano?

I must say that as these things go I find the manual PDF really quite good, but I still can't see any mention of "Sounds" in it. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Whatever, thank you very much for your help :)

Reaction score
Without looking through the manual I would say press and hold the Shift button, then press the Keyboard Set that you want to change you should then be able select the Sound you want.

It is typical in a Korg, Shift held then press any button and a context related Menu associated with the button pressed should display on screen.

Reaction score
Thanks once again. I've checked the manual again and unless I'm having yet another brainfart, there's nothing in it that helps with this. It just seems weird to me that when there's a whole shedfull of sounds built in, you can't somehow just scroll through them or select one with the numeric pad, and use that voice without jumping through hoops.

ETA - Gosh, this is really straining what's left of my brain. I'm not quite sure how, but I managed to get it so that keyboard set 002 was Class.Piano rather than detuned piano, then when I scrolled through the higher numbers with the dial there were all kinds of piano sounds I'd never seen before. So I was happy knowing that it could be done, even though I wasn't sure how.

Problem is I then switched off. Now I've switched back on again, 002 has reverted to detuned piano!

Why has it done that?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why has it done that?
a) because you did not save the amended Style/Keyboard Set

b) the system may well be protected against saving changes to the default Styles and or Sounds so you have to unprotect, better to save to a User Bank if possible.

Not having an Ek I can only be general.

Reaction score
When you're in keyboard set mode, you can do shift + any of the voices (upper 1, upper 2, etc.), and edit the voice. You can't save the keyboard set, but you can save it to a bank.

Ask a Question