Elkatwin61 needs repair

Reaction score
Good day everyone, I hope reaching out here will get me a providential and much hoped for answer to a question about my Elkatwin61. I've been storing it for a few years in its case in good conditions (lack of space to install it) and I've the occasion to play it again (lucky!!). Last time I played it, it worked perfectly fine, but for some reason it won't produce any sound now, and the side selectors (effects/glide/octaves/bass/split) won't light up when pressed. Does someone know how to fix that? I am a keyboard fan but I know very little if not nothing about the electronics going on inside and don't want to mess up that little gem. I checked every output, electric cord and sound selectors. Everything seems to work fine but the things I listed above.

Should I check for rusty parts/broken cables?
Replace the fuse?
Check the electric output?

I can send pictures if needed.

Every bit of advice will be duely appreciated!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all does it do ANYTHING when you hook up the power supply and hit the ON button?

Does it work with batteries? Can it take batteries?

Diagnosis is a step by step process where every bit of info counts.

How old is the unit BTW?

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if the storage conditions were so bad it rusted, then it's probably a boat anchor by now.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
That Elka was manufactured in the late 1970's, so it is over forty years old. Electronics do have a working lifetime, and
working on circuit boards is not for home self repair. It is time to replace it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Not to throw out the baby with the bathwater, if this synth has any vintage value a restoration might be in order.

It may be as simple as replacing the capacitors.

Like I said earlier, if there's RUST, it's a doorstop.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question