Ensoniq Mr-76 vintage keyboard static

Reaction score
Hi, I have an Ensoniq Mr-76 vintage keyboard and recently I´ve been hearing some static-like noise through my PA system, at first I thought it was a fault in the speaker but then I tried other keyboards and the sound came out fine so I decided to take my keyboard to a technician and he told me that he coudn´t repair because the noise came from the microprocessor, what I want to know is, do any of you know if this can be repaired? or if in order to replace the microprocessor I should get one exactly the same (I mean same make, same model) or if there are other options. Please give as much info as you can. Thanks a lot !!! :)

Ad

Advertisements

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all I wonder what that "technician" was smoking.

I seriously doubt that the CPU is generating static in the audio path.

It may, however be resistance noise from a cracked or loose solder joint somewhere on the board or in the connectors. Or it could even be a dirty and noisy potentiometer that needs a squirt of contact cleaner or replacement. Also, given the age of the keyboard I would suggest replacing the electrolytic capacitors before they start to fail.

I'd suggest taking it to a different technician who actually knows his stuff to trace the noise along the audio patch and do a proper repair.

Gary ;)

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
First of all I wonder what that "technician" was smoking.

I seriously doubt that the CPU is generating static in the audio path.

It may, however be resistance noise from a cracked or loose solder joint somewhere on the board or in the connectors. Or it could even be a dirty and noisy potentiometer that needs a squirt of contact cleaner or replacement. Also, given the age of the keyboard I would suggest replacing the electrolytic capacitors before they start to fail.

I'd suggest taking it to a different technician who actually knows his stuff to trace the noise along the audio patch and do a proper repair.

Gary ;)
Thanks a lot Gary :)

Ask a Question