Ensoniq SD-1 midi playback problems

Reaction score
I dug out my old Ensoniq SD-1 to lay down some midi tracks in Cubase Elements 11. I was able to record some tracks into Cubase just fine but am having problems playing them back. It will only play the tracks with 1 sound. I have 4 tracks, each with a different patch assigned but when it plays, all the tracks are using the same sound. If I choose a different channel on the keyboard, everything switches to that sound.

I have set all the midi channels on the keyboard and in Cubase. Cubase recognizes the midi interface and everything else looks good. I use Cubase with other keyboards and it works fine so I'm fairly confident that it's not a software issue. Just would like to hear the piano, strings, bass and drums when I playback instead of every track playing piano...or strings...or drums.

Anyone ever had a problem like this? It's been a while since I used this synth, but I know at one time it worked as expected (in different DAWs) because I used to record with it. Perhaps there are some settings that I need to tweak on the keyboard, but I can't figure out what. All the midi settings on both the synth and software look correct to me.

Would appreciate it if someone could offer some suggestions. Thanks.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It's difficult to say much without having the user manual to look at. There's a scanned manual online but it's utterly unreadable, so I have no idea whether the SD-1 is able to accept multi-channel MIDI data from a sequencer and play it using multiple sounds.

If the SD-1 does have that capability, then the problem may be with the way the tracks are set up in Cubase. Is each track set up to send to a different MIDI channel?

Reaction score
Thanks! The SD-1 has the capability. I figured out that I had inadvertently changed the mode from Multi to Omni. Once I switched it back it started working as expected. Whew!!

Ask a Question