Exporting a song to MIDI on PC3 LE8

Reaction score
I've tried everything, but the export-to-MIDI feature in the storage mode only creates an unplayable, unsupported file. I've tried playing those files on numerous softwares, and the results are always the same.

Has anyone else had this problem? I would have thought the internet would be flooded with similar discussions, but I couldn't find them.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
My first thought is that you must be doing something wrong, although I imagine you've followed the instructions in the manual to the letter.

What sort of file extension do the resulting files have? Can you record a simple musical phrase or chord progression, export the "song" to a MIDI file as described in the manual, and post it here for us to look at? If you can't attach it to a post, send it to me in a PM to look at. While I don't own a Kurzweil, I'm familiar enough with the MIDI file format that I can at least tell whether it's a MIDI file with a bad file extension, or a MIDI file with some kind of internal issue, or not a MIDI file at all.

Reaction score
Yes, I've followed the manual to the letter, and several times to boot, although it's not really necessary. The Kurz interface itself for the storage mode is clear and simple and offers "export" as a selection. There are actually two MIDI choices, one being for multi-channels. I tried both, of course. I was able to play one of the files using Audigy, but what it played was actually just an incoherent file of squeeks and hisses. I'm not in my office at the moment, and I can't recall the extension, but it is not .mid. I will PM you in an hour or so with a file -- with many thanks.

Reaction score
I was wrong. The Kurzweil PC3 LE8 actually does name the file .MID. I'll try to attach a short example that I just made and "exported" as you've suggested. Whoops, I see that the available uploads do not include .MID files, so I will temporarily rename MIDITEST.MID to MIDITEST.txt. You can simply rename it back to MIDTEST.MID

Attachments

• MIDITEST.txt
    555 bytes · Views: 491

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I renamed the file and it seems to play correctly in Notation Player 3 (although I don't know what it's supposed to sound like), and it looks okay when viewed in a hex editor. I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like in Notation Player 3-- a series of chords played in a Harpsichord patch:

MIDITEST.PNG

What program(s) are you using to play it on your computer?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just downloaded, renamed and ran the file myself.

It's a harpsichord on track 8 channel 8 and it plays a bit of Handel's Wedding March and then a bit of a flourish at the end.

I have to ask as well what software you are trying to use to play it?

I tried it with Fluidsynth as a standalone player and also successfully loaded it into Cakewalk Home Studio 9.01 and played it back on a Casio WK-6600 without a hiccup.

What programs are you trying to use as a player and as an editor/sequencer? What operating system?

Are you trying to load it into Windows Media Player? It's the absolute worst MIDI player around.

Take a look at this article on how to fix MIDI playback in Windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/84752

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, the next time you want to upload a file with an unsupported extension here, just use Zip compression and it will transfer just fine.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you, gentlemen. Yes, it appears the problem is the player. I had tried the MIDI files on both VLC and on Windows Media Player and got the error messages. I've just migrated over to this new computer, and it lacks a proper sound card, so it's possible also that the onboard sound simply isn't cut out for the job.

Again, thanks for your efforts.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
VLC does not do MIDI at all.

Media player "can" do MIDI but it uses the crappiest soundfont.

Virtually any PC soundcard can handle PCM Soundfonts.

Depending on which version of Windows you are using Google "How to install a soundfont MIDI player in Win XX" and set yourself up with a proper soundfont MIDI player.

Your ears and your soul will thank you for it :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question