Expression Pedal (anyone else have this problem)

Reaction score
I have never been happy with any expression pedal I have owned, and I have owned a few from cheap beko ones to the expensive boss and roland ones, I have found the same thing with all of them. It seems that the are sensitive through the full motion of the pedal. So when I push down the pedal I have to push it a significant distance before I can get it to actually respond. anyone else annoyed with this? Anyone know a pedal that doesnt suffer from this problem?

Cheers Shane

Reaction score
You haven't indicated what keyboard you are using and what functions you are using the expression pedal for. I use a Yamaha FC-7 pedal as an expression pedal to control a hammond module. A hammond organ has a pedal and to mimic what it does you would need expression pedal functionality. I find that with the FC-7 I get the same long sweep that I get when I'm using a real hammond. Using a MIDI scope I can see that the sweep is linear, i.e. 0-127 in a linear fashion. With some pedals you get you get 80% of the increase in the first 25% of the travel of the pedal. Based on what your wrote it seems as though you are getting the opposite effect, 80% of the volume in the last 25% of the pedal. I would research this pedal. It's construction is not plastic, it is very sturdy; I've had mine for years and it still works great...

One of the keyboards that I currently own, for each program in the keyboard I am able to configure the pedal to be either an expression pedal or a volume pedal. So I could use the FC-7 to be a volume controller on one program and an expression controller on the organ programs while plugged into the same input jack on the keyboard. Might want to ensure that your program configuration on your keyboard is also correct.

One other thought, in some cases (this also applies to the FC-7 as well) the polarity can be backwards on the pedal and incompatible for your keyboard. When it is it can cause the pedal to react as I mentioned earlier. So what you could be experiencing is a polarity issue. See this article regarding the simple fix:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=322584

and this is where you can purchase the simple fix:

http://www.music.ashbysolutions.com/misc.htm

Reaction score
Hi, Ok sorry I should have been clearer, Firsltly I find this not to be with a specific instrument. I have found it with all instruments/ pedal combinations. Second I actually do find the boss one to be linear. The real Problem I have is that, I have to push the pedal a significant amount before any value is changed at all. Likewise when I reach the end of the value changing range there is a good bit of room for the pedal to be pushed down. I am certain that both the way the program and the polarity has been correct.

Reaction score
If you have to push the pedal down a significant amount before any value is changed then the pedal is not reacting linearly. A 50% push down should compute to a 50% increase in volume (if the pedal was acting linearly). Since you are not getting this "MIDI" result, then your pedal is not acting linearly (as at least the way I was describing it). Again, read this article:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=322584

Ask a Question