Expression pedal EV5 problem

Reaction score
Hello, my son is a new Roland VR-09 user and is having trouble with his expression pedal as it is no longer working. It was working fine but at some point I think he had it plugged in to the damper socket so I wondered if that might have broken it. Any thoughts as to what the problem might be. Thanks.

Reaction score
Plugging it into the damper is not going to cause an issue with the pedal.

Do a factory reset, this should restore the keyboard back to factory settings and clear whatever issue you are having. Be aware that a factory reset wipes out any programs or presets that the user has created. Might want to save them off to some medium outside of the keyboard before the reset and them load them back in after doing the reset.

VR-09 VR-09B VR-730: Factory Reset
  1. Press MENU.
  2. Use the Value dial to select "System" and press ENTER.
  3. Use the Cursor buttons (^/v) to select "Factory Reset" and press ENTER.
  4. Press ENTER again to confirm the operation.
  5. When the reset is complete, power the VR-09/09B/730 off and back on.

Reaction score
Unfortunately that didn't work, any other suggestions as to what might be the problem. Do pedals often break?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you have a DVOM you can hook up the connector of the pedal to the probes and move the pedal up and down to see if the pedal is faulty. It should be operating in the range of 0 to 10 Kohms.

If there is a broken connector or pot inside it can usually be repaired with a minimal amount of electronics skill.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Do you or your son know someone that has an expression pedal? If you could borrow one then you can try plugging that in and see if it works; or if you take the keyboard to a music store that sells expression pedals; you can try one there; listening through headphones for volume increases/decreases. If it works then you have a dead pedal; if it doesn't work then you have a keyboard problem. If you have a multimeter do as Gary suggests above first; plan B would be what I just wrote.

Ask a Question