Expression pedal "shorting out?"

Reaction score
Hi. Im running a Roland RD2000 with an M-audio expression pedal. I had it assigned for the right patches etc to fade in strings etc etc. All was working fine. Then I went to my gig and set it all up and the expression pedal failed to work at all. No response at all. Did a factory reset, same issue. I tried a different expression pedal and it worked. I took this M-audio pedal and hooked it up to my old RD700 and there was no response from it there either. So....is it possible that the pedal somehow shorted out and fried something in its electronics? I didn't do anything other than plug it into the EXP jack on the back of the keyboard. What's even more odd is that I just got off the road, rented an RD2000 and an Roland EV5 pedal (loaded my programs etc from a USB) and things worked great for 3 gigs and then the same thing happened!!! Nothing for the last gig. WTF? I really am at a loss here. I have done the trick of holding the "Shift" button down and moving the pedal - no response. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Had a Yamaha FC7 pedal that after using it for 3 years suddenly started to cause my Kurzweil to reboot everytime I depressed the keyboard. I ended up switching to a Roland EV7 and have been using it for about 7 years with no issues. So the FC7 sat on the shelf for three years. I read something about static electricity build up with that pedal so I decided to do some investigation. So I pulled the pedal off the shelf and I plugged the FC7 back into my Kurzweil and it didn't work at all. I then plugged it into my Gem Equinox and it also didnt work. I measured the resistance with a multimeter. The pedal was dead. Not sure how it died sitting on a shelf in a box for three years but it did. You are feeding it a 5 volt current so that it can measure changes in the wiper so it is possible that the 5V current could cause the pot or the electronics to somehow short out or die from sudden current hitting it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Lots of factors here can contribute towards failure.

Dampness, Humidity, Dirt and Dust... Mechanical and thermal stresses.

All it really is a is little smear of a carbon compound on a strip being probed along its axis.

That's all any pot is.

I can build the identical circuit with a 10 cent pot or with a $10 Bourne Wirewound but which one do you think will hold up better for wear and tear.

I own an EV5 and a couple of Moog controller pedals and I've had them for years without incident.

But depending on how you treat them, how often you use them, eventually that little smear of carbon will give out.

If a $50 pedal fails, then at least open it up and see if the construction uses a replaceable pot before you trash it.

It truly is the simplest electrical device you own next to the foot switch. :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question