Expression Pedals

Reaction score
Hello. I play a Yamaha S90ES in a classic rock band. I use an expression pedal for organ modulation, as my left hand is busy covering the bass line. (we don't have a dedicated bass player)

I have been using a Yamaha FC7 for several years, but it is falling apart. I am looking for recommendations for a solid expression pedal to purchase. I've heard the Roland EV-5 is plastic and will not stand up to rigors of the road.

I'm not sure if this matters, but I play standing up.

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but the Roland EV5 pedal for organ is a POS IMHO. The construction is cheap plastic and the sweep is short and not useful for hammond expression at all. The EV7 is a better choice as at least the sweep is long. However, the FC7 is the best choice. I'm not sure why yours would fall apart; I've had mine for many years and it still works perfectly and is almost the perfect choice for simulating the sweep of a hammond expression pedal. I would personally purchase another FC7 (the price is very reasonable) before I would purchase an EV7 and would not even consider an EV5.

If you want to use a standard volume pedal (like an ernie ball inline pedal) as an expression pedal, here is an ingenious trick you can try ..

http://www.strymon.net/2011/10/10/strymon-tech-corner-3-volume-pedal-as-an-expression-pedal/

Ask a Question