External audio interface recommendations

Reaction score
I've been considering my options for an external audio interface. I've been leaning toward the M-Audio Profire 610, because you don't have to redo your cabling to play without the computer hooked up, only to redo it again when you want the computer online.

Does anyone have any experience to share about 610, or it's siblings the Profire 410 and Profire 2626?

Are there any other external audio interfaces that support offline mode? (USB or Firewire OK.)

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
I don't understand your comment about cabling. I think what you meant to say was that you don't have to turn on your computer to use the interface?

Honestly, it's not that good a feature, in my opinion, unless you've got some kind of hardware-based audio recorder; otherwise, recording requires the computer anyway, and if you're not connected to your computer, why not go from your keyboard straight into your amp or monitors?

Personally, I have the Edirol UA-25, and have had no problems with it. I've mainly used it as a way to reduce MIDI latency as opposed to trying to record through it though. This is the only interface I've tried, so I can't really comment on others.

Reaction score
I don't understand your comment about cabling. I think what you meant to say was that you don't have to turn on your computer to use the interface?
Yep. I don't want to have to mess with any cabling changes when I add/remove the computer to the set up.

Honestly, it's not that good a feature, in my opinion, unless you've got some kind of hardware-based audio recorder; otherwise, recording requires the computer anyway, and if you're not connected to your computer, why not go from your keyboard straight into your amp or monitors?
Two reasons:

Convenience, as explained above.

Protection, of the equipment that is. I don't want the other family members messing with cabling if/when they decide they want to play while I'm not there. Just because the plug fits, doesn't mean it belongs there.

Perhaps there is a switch box that could take care of the cabling issue?

Personally, I have the Edirol UA-25, and have had no problems with it. I've mainly used it as a way to reduce MIDI latency as opposed to trying to record through it though. This is the only interface I've tried, so I can't really comment on others.

Basically what I'm looking for is low-/no-latency, good-quality recording, a little room to grow (plug in more than just keyboard on the inputs), and plugin and forget.

Ask a Question