External overdrives for analog organs - pre Leslie

Reaction score
I am new to this forum - although not new to music. A new addition to my home studio is a Yamaha D-85 organ I picked up for cheap. It has some really great analog voices and it just needs a little bit of drive for blues and rock.
I have a Dynacord CLS 222 leslie simulator [rack] and I am looking for recommendations for a preamp/boost/OD unit to sit betwen the organ and the 'Leslie'. The Combination 1 setting on the D-85 is nice and jazzy - and this would be one of the basic tones I would start with.

This is for home recordings of some of my original material. From the Dynacord I also have the option of running through my Sony DPS V77 [or Korg A1] for reverb/phasing/flanging etc > Speck ASC EQ > EMU 0404 USB then into Logic.
I mainly want to add some bite/grit to the signal before I send it to the CLS 222.
I know there are options such as mic preamps or guitar pedals [with attenuation] - tube is best I suppose.
I am curious to know what others are using/ have tried [as well as what does not work!]

Ask a Question