FA07 or Kronos 61

Reaction score
I KNOW they arnt in the same league, and if money were no object there would probably be one winner (though there are other things to consider than just capability even then). Its about the most suitable for my application.

I have an RD2000 - so Im good for a weighted action. I love the pianos, and the EPs, Clavs, Organs, strings, Bells and mallet type tones along with brass are all good enough for my needs.

The pads are OK for layering as well - but with no LFO options and limited editing there not good enough for synth based songs (80s and onwards). Nor does the RD have an arpegiator, a step sequencer or sequencer - or the ability to create tones from scratch. These are the aspects Im looking at adding with the second board.

Both the FA07 and Kronos will do them, but to different levels.

The FA has a very easy workflow. Its sequencer, step and arp are all good enough for me. The VA sounds decent, and I can work from the oscillator up. It has PCM based sounds as well usable as a source to go through the filers (various) and mods. It is a little limited in mod front though - with one per partial (3 partials for wave based and 4 for PCM based sounds) with another mod available - technically one per partial but in operation its one per tone as its actuated by single cc - so switching it on switches it on for all partials. Its a limitation but a deal breaker.

The Kronos has more mods, more effects, more engines (the LA, plus poly six, MS and FM engines) and also has Karma which is great. It is certainly deeper, and the real time controls are better - though those on the FA would probably be enough. However, I am not a sound designer nor primarily a keyboardist - and the workflow and menus in the Kronos look a lot harder to get to grips with (as is often the case, more ability means more work figuring it out).

Add to these points, the Kronos is 61 key v the FAs 73 - and I think the FA-07 has a better keybed. To top it off the Kronos is 2.5x the cost of the FA. If I act QUICK I can get an ex demo Kronos for 1.9k, or a new (old stock pre price rise) one for 2.1k - but there are only a few left then it will cost 2.7k. The FA07 can be had for 1k.

The question is - given the tones Im happy with in the RD, so even if the Kronos has better ones (the organs for example) Im not that bothered (a plus but not a consideration if you like), given the easy workflow of the FA v the more complex but more capable Kronos, the addition of Karma in the Kronos BUT the fewer keys and higher price tag.....If the FA07 actually the wiser/better choice for my needs or is it worht pushing the budget for the Kronos.

Its a tough one having bought the RD only 2 months ago. The FA07 is in budget, the Kronos is pushing the limits but a couple of hundred even at the ex demo old stock price. A new one in a week or 2 at 2.7k is REALLY going to test my finances.

Part of me says just get that ex demo - as I could probably sell it 6 months down the line if I found it too hard to work with, and not loose anything (or very little) on it. Another part says the FA is a perfect fit for me, even if its not as capable and not as versatile as the Kronos - and money wise its affordable without an issue.

I hate choices sometimes.... so advice on the boards, there strengths/weaknesses, their fit for me technically and financially would be of great help.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think you said it yourself. With the Kronos you are paying for features you will probably never use while the FA suits your workflow and has all the sounds you need.

Save yourself the extra grand and pick up a Behringer Deepmind 6 or 12 or a Studiologic Sledge to round out your analog palette with the cash you've saved.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Tried a sledge recently. Didn' have enough about it to be a second board, but would be good as a 3rd.

Not tried a deep mind yet but as a 3rd board wouldn' have any key restrictions, ie 4 octaves is fine, that coukdxwork as well.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Don't forget, an audience's ability to appreciate music responds inversely to the number of beers it has consumed :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
So true...

My years of guitar playing has only prooved that its the players that care about the nuances tones and functionality not the audience. If they can sing or dance along they dont care how good or acurate the actual sound is (or even the playing to a great extent).

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK, had a play on a Kronos.

Workflow isnt as straight forward as the FA, but its not a killer like some Korg workstations.

While it has dedicated "models" of the poly six and MS20 - along with a dedicated FM engine, the basic VA (the AL-1) is very similar to the roland SN-S.

The Korg has 2 oscillators v the Rolands 3, though it has a dedicated sub - so make that 2.5. It does however the 2 mods per osc, where a as the Roland only really has one. It does have a "mod LFO" though, that can be toggled on a switch, blended on a rotary or applied with the pitch wheel. As that is via cc, it switched all 3 mod LOFs on (if you use one per voice) so its better to see it as a "tone global" LFO that can be applied to a single, or multiple parts. That basically gives them 4 LFOs each - kind of.

The Organ on the Korg is better than the FA/RD2000 but not much. The Pianos and EPs are better on the RD2000, while I think the supernatural "orchestral" stuff (particularly the downloadable banks from Axial) are better on the Roland.

Karma is nice on the Korg, but its a luxury really.

The killer on the Korg - for me at least - is the FX section. The FA is very limited, only having a single FX per tone and one global FX (I believe) where as the Korg seems to have 9 available per tone. Thats a huge +1 for the Korg. BUT its it worth £1k..... Not so sure.

The Rompler tones again are similar - with the Korgs FX giving them more colour and variety.

If I can find a way to hook up a laptop type stand to my existing stand, I could add a module (deep mind possibly) and probably have a better all round set-up. I also have an Axe-FX 2 for my guitar rig that I can route keys through for added FX (as long as I want them globally not per partial).

Much as my inner perfectionist longs for the Kronos - particularly if I can get the ex demo one at 1.9k - the pragmatist says the FA is the better bet really for what I actually use (especially given in the 15 years Ive had my Fantom-S I have never used anything but presets with the odd adjustment to filter, resonance, attack and delay).

While I want to get into sound design a little, from the ground up, I think the FA should give me enough to play with - unless someone can point to reasons why Ill hit a wall with it - while the Kronos provides a door.

Reaction score
If in doubt don’t.

I have two Korgs and the learning curve with them is steep but well worth it.

I would look at the onling Korg Video Manuals and the Roland Product Support videos to learn about both in more detail, also download and study the manuals and keep going into the music store to have a play.

If you cannot find the laptop mount they take a look at these, it is possible to get one and modify its fixings to suit.

https://www.rammount.com/device/laptop-wizard/full-kits

Ask a Question